Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wfermin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2011
Apple MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 15"
Identifiers: Early 2008 - MB133LL/A - MacBookPro4,1 - A1260 - 2198

Cosmetically everything looks fine. Still runs very good.
Basically they used it for surfing, email, storing photos, spread sheets and word docs.
Battery does not hold charge for very long.

My MacBook Pro was stolen and can't afford a brand new one.

Essentially it will be a trade for a 3TB Time capsule drive.

I will be using it mainly for graphic design; photoshop, illustrator and dreamweaver.

Initially would be paying
$500 3TB time capsule drive

Extras
$100-$150 for RAM
$100+ new battery

Is this trade worth it?
Will this last me at least 2yrs?

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Price seems pretty high to me. You are looking at $700-$750 for a almost 4 year old machine.

I would say try to talk him down to $400, and look for slightly used battery and ram. This will save you $. I bought a battery with 95% health for a late 2008 MBP for $35 on here.

I would think you could do much better with a 13'' MBP, or even Macbook. I don't know if you have access to the marketplace or not, but if so be patient and look on here. I have a feeling as we get close to christmas more people will be selling.

Also check your local Craigslist, but do you research on what to look out for. Lots of good threads.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Just got early 2008 MBP for 380.00 3 months ago…and went to apple store to replace logic board (logic board is NOT dead yet) for free anyway. :D

SmoothJ

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2010
I had a 2008 17in MBP (was used at least 10 hours a day, 5 days a week for 3 years) and it was going strong till I sold it - even the hard drive.

So yes the nvidia issue is there, however not every system has an issues.

I would get it tested at the Apple Store if possible before buying.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
I am sry but no, you cannot access the marketplace:
[/quote=MarketPlace_Rules]
Eligibility. To use the Marketplace forum (read threads, start threads, or post replies), you must be a forum member with user title 6502 or above, which means that you have 250 or more posts as displayed in your User Profile. This gives other members a chance to become familiar with you. To see your User Profile, click Quick Links -> My Profile at the top of a forum page. You must also have been a member for at least 180 days.
[/quote]

but you should still be able to find great deals online, just be sure that they are trustworthy ;)

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I am sry but no, you cannot access the marketplace:
[/quote=MarketPlace_Rules]
Eligibility. To use the Marketplace forum (read threads, start threads, or post replies), you must be a forum member with user title 6502 or above, which means that you have 250 or more posts as displayed in your User Profile. This gives other members a chance to become familiar with you. To see your User Profile, click Quick Links -> My Profile at the top of a forum page. You must also have been a member for at least 180 days.

but you should still be able to find great deals online, just be sure that they are trustworthy ;)[/QUOTE]

I fail to see where he is selling or buying o from this site. Merely seeing if a price he was quoted was such he wasn't getting ripped off...

Queen6

macrumors G4
I have exactly the same computer, I would hold out for something a little newer. Mine has been great and I have never had any issue, however some have had problems with GPU failure and this is now something Apple may or may not cover. Mine is one of the very last produced Oct 2008 and possibly has an updated logic board, so far no GPU problems, it`s used heavily.

This explains the GPU problems in detail http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

If the GPU does fail, the logic board will need to be replaced, which is very much worth considering. Like I say my 4.1 has never missed a beat and it`s spent years cooking in the Middle East and now the Tropics with high humidity.

Upgrade path is tricky for the hard drive and max RAM is limited, fans can and do fail, I run smc Fan Control and every six months or so set the fans to max and suck out the dust via the exhaust with a vacum cleaner, works a treat and saves the cost of replacing the fans every couple of years ;) I certainly wont be upgrading to Lion as it will only slow the system and raise temperatures. 4.1 was the last of the "Classic" MacBook Pro`s and I will probably keep it, until it dies :rolleyes:

My new i5 Air demolishes the 4.1 in many respects, all the same I still like the old beast, and I guess a new MBP is on the horizon for 2012 and that will take it to four years of constant heavy use...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.