Should I cancel my order?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sammyman, May 9, 2005.

  1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2005
    #1
    I just placed an order for a 17" iMac last Thursday. It is not suppose to ship until next Monday! I guess it is because of the 250Gb hard drive that I added.

    I am now having second thoughts. I am about to go to MBA school this fall and I convinced myself that I would not need the portability. I thought a computer lab would do, but I think I might just be kidding myself.

    Now I wonder if I should cancel my order, and get a 12" powerbook with an external hard drive. I want to do some video editing from a trip that I will take this summer, and some home movie stuff. iMovie will most likely be fine for what I am doing. I also use Macromedia, and Pro Tools.

    I thought I needed a G5, but do I? Will it really help that much with what I want to do?

    Powerbooks caught my eye a year ago, and ever since I have wanted to switch to Mac. If I keep the order and get the iMac, I will most likely buy a powerbook when they upgrade them to dualcore or a G5. Maybe I should wait for Rev B. New pbooks?
     
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

    mkrishnan

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    #2
    Where are you going, if you don't mind my asking, to get your MBA? I have several friends who are either in MBA programs now or just finishing, and it sounds to me like notebooks in classrooms and study/project sessions have become very, very common.... And I know it's considered appropriate, for instance, to take notes in class on a computer at many MBA programs (it isn't in my field...but our classes are a lot smaller). I think that having a notebook might be a really useful thing. And, AFAIK, unlike law school, there is somewhat reduced pressure to have that notebook be Intel/Windows. Of course, you could always get a cheap Dell notebook....
     
  3. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2005
    #3
    I will either go to UNR or CSEB since I own property in Reno, and because I want to soon own property in the Bay Area. So it is not really about the school, just the location. It has crossed my mind to have the iMac, and have a cheap $499 dell laptop for school. Might actually be the best route. Powerbooks have to be the most sexy laptop around though...
     
  4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

    mkrishnan

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    #4
    What I meant was more whether you are going to a large or smaller school. I am not really familiar with those programs, but I think that, even if you don't end up *needing* it, you'll feel serious notebook envy, because most of your cohort will have them. There was a refurb deal today on DealNews for a 17" iMac.... who knows; you could probably find a way to make both a notebook of some kind and an iMac work in your budget.
     
  5. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2005
    #5
    The programs are both pretty small. I think you are right about the notebook envy. I feel it now, and I don't even have any friends with a powerbook! I might just keep the order, and find a way to put a few bucks aside for the new pbooks when they are released and when I need the portability, at least a little. Thanks for the advice.
     

Share This Page