should I clean install OSX on new macbook?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mopppish, Oct 17, 2006.

1. mopppish macrumors 6502

Hi, all.
    I've heard of people that do clean installs of their operating systems as soon as they get their new computers in order to get rid of unwanted software and files.
    My refurb macbook is arriving today, and I'm debating whether or not to do this. I can't say that 1 or 2 GBs of hard drive space is all that important to me. Are there other reasons why I might benefit from this?
    Thanks.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

My advice (totally unjustified), don't bother, any problems then do it, apple will probably have a fresh install anyway on your machine.

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

You can choose your own installation if you do a fresh install which can save alot of disk space:
    - Get rid of the M$ Office Test Drive
    - Disable any other form of "demo" software (FileMaker Pro)
    - Leave out many printer drivers (that can save alot!!!)
    - Don't install other languages

All in all you could save a couple of GBs (maybe 3 orso).

It won't make much difference in terms of speed, but still...

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Unlike many of it's Windows brethren, Macs don't arrive at your doorstep with a bajillion different 3rd party trial apps installed. There's no need at all to do a clean install.

5. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

on new machines I usually completely zero the drive and do a fresh install of the OS. I'm a little skeptical of what happens at the factory, and I've learned through experience that things can happen to a HD in transport i.e. if it gets bumped just right it can damage system files and cause crashes and unexpected weirdness.

At any rate, if I install the OS, I'm able to observe how the install is going, plus I can choose what not to install, which is always nice. Skipping the printer drivers and the language options can indeed save you a couple of GB. If you aren't going to need it, why install it?

just my preference...

EDIT: also, I'm pretty sure iChat and iWeb open up additional logic ports, which may cause a security issue. If you don't use them, best not to install them.

6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

If you like having absolute control over the files on your disk, then I would recommend it.