Should I consider all lost? (Powerbook died)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ensign Paris, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Nov 4, 2001
    My Powerbook died 10 days ago, disk issues:

After trying Disk Utility, fsck, TechTools Pro and DiskWarrior, and trying to fix my Alubook 15" 1.5ghz. None of these work, they all say something along the lines of:

(eg. from Disk Utility)

Block Count Errors in about 6 files, including mach.sys.

Keys out of order

Rebuilding Catalog B-Tree
    The volumes couldn't be repaired.

Error: Underlying task reported failure on exit.

Should I consider all lost? Can I never retreive this data? and if so, at what cost?

2. portent macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2004
    Have you tried to bring it up in FireWire Target Disk mode from another Mac?
  3. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    You were running Disk Utility from your Powerbook? Does it not boot up at all now?

Definitely try Firewire Disk mode. I'm no techie but, it doesn't sound good. Maybe take a trip to your local Apple store if the target disk mode doesn't work.

Have you not backed up!? :eek:
  4. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    Catalog B tree problems and the keyes out of order error indicates directory corruption. Diskwarrior ist he best product for dealing with this. if it can't fix it, probably nothing can.
  5. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2004
    Either give it a shot in Target Mode, or try Diskwarrior, to see if the tables can't be fixed up. In the former, you might be able to run some more utilities, and at least get files off of it. In the latter, you may be able to repair the disk altogether. Worst case scenario, blow it away and reinstall the OS. Yes, it will cause lost data, but at least the machine will run.