Should I even bother trying to keep exchanging for a Samsung screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 3, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Serious question. Every time I exchange my iPhone, which has only been 3 times in one visit, I feel like I open up the possibility of getting a device with dead pixels, trapped dust, factory scratches, etc.

Plus, I'm kind of just getting used to the yellow-tinted LG LCD, as annoying as it is though.

When I was last at the Apple store, I swapped my phone out three times and all three new phones had the same issue. Eventually the guy suggested that I just check back in a few weeks and hopefully then the store would have a different shipment of iPhones in.

2. macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

If you are unable to use and enjoy your device in its current state, by all means, exchange it for one, which you will satisfied with. Other than that, enjoy your phone.

3. macrumors 65816

So Samsung makes the bluer screens and LG makes the yellow? In that case my original 4S had an LG screen and my newer 4S (warranty swap) has a Samsung screen. Anyways, I can't really tell you much other than I swapped my phone 11 months after my original and got a blue screen. So, maybe wait a few months?

There really is no telling. I happened to get lucky when I got my new 4S. The screen is ridiculously bluer.

4. macrumors regular

Anyway to confirm through software what maker you have in your phone or ipad?

5. macrumors 68000

Perhaps it's not an issue, but perhaps you. Pretty much what the Apple rep was saying in a polite way.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

No, it's not me. It's actually the screen and this is actually what every Apple genius confirmed who I spoke to. They said that Apple uses different LCD manufacturers to meet worldwide demand and when we compared my phone to the phones in the store you could see a clear difference.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a Apple appointment tmrw so idk I guess I'll see what happens.

8. macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

How do you know who manufactured your screen?

9. thread starter macrumors 6502

For one you can tell by the colors. If you're screen has a subtle but noticeable and uniform yellow tint then it is probably LG. There is also a way to check by looking in the settings.

10. macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Which is the way in the settings?

11. macrumors 65816

Anyone else dumbfounded at how ridiculous this guy sounds?

12. macrumors 6502

I would be but it seems more and more apple fanboys are becoming this way.

Why aren't any other fanboys this obsessive over something so irrelevant?

13. macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

How utterly bizarre!
    Imagine trying that with any other product! You'd be laughed out the store!

Tell you what, don't buy an iPhone, get your money back and buy something else!

14. macrumors regular

15. thread starter macrumors 6502

I paid $700 for my phone. I want a screen that displays accurate whites and not something that is washed in yellow. That is all.

----------

The guys at the Apple store were totally cool about it and admitted that some of the iPhones were like that. They said that it was a perfectly acceptable reason to exchange the phone and that some people had done so.

16. macrumors 68000

Samsung doesn't make screens for the iPhone. They do for the retina iPad and MBP's though.

17. macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

And how much did you spend for your vehicle that doesn't sound or drive exactly like the others.. Or the tv you watch that doesn't look the same as all the others, etc..

Does it really matter?

You want a Samsung screen, buy a Samsung phone..