Should I fix my 12" PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kerpow, May 16, 2006.

1. kerpow macrumors 6502

Its ironic, my 12" PB breaks the same week as the new MacBook is released :)

But with a new born baby and my wife not working cash is little sparse at the moment :mad:

So, my dilemma is whether to pour a farily significant amount of money fixing my PB or invest in the future.

My wife dropped something heavy on the top lid of the PB and while the screen didn't crack the display is completely unusable. I've hooked it up to the TV and the rest of the computer works fine.

So to fix the PB I'm guessing it wil cost me £400. The parts are a little more expensive to buy over here than ifixit.com and it looks really difficult to replace myself so I'd probably get stung quite heavily for labour as well.

The MacBooks are ok, I've always regretted not getting a Super Drive and have wanted iSighjt for some time. I just though that because they were using integrated graphics they'd be a little cheaper.

2. EricChunky macrumors regular

sorry about the powerbook... but it on ebay, you can get around 100 quid

go for the lowest config MacBook, i wish i dould buy it for you as a student to save a bit more (600quid), but anyway its already cheap enough...

so all you have to spend is 500+, hope that's affordable ;)

3. Lau Guest

I had a similar dilemma a while ago - although it was only the hard drive that went on mine. I sold it for £450, and paid £650 for a new iBook G4, and couldn't be happier. The extra battery life and warranty as well as a nice new computer easily made up for it.

Espcially now you've got the MacBooks to choose from I would say definitely go for it.

4. kerpow thread starter macrumors 6502

I suppose you're right. I feel as if I should be excited about buying a new computer but really loved that little thing.

It would be good to move on and get an Intel so I can run Windows Server 2003 or Vista on it.