Should I get a BT apple mouse?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by whiteangel, Sep 4, 2004.

1. whiteangel macrumors regular

I am a one week old switcher. Been loving my new toy every since I got. Everything is so slick.
    Except that I went to get a cheap M$ mouse ( I felt so disappointed that I bought it as I wanted to 'leave' M$ since touching it when I was 8yrs old ) Well, the mouse skips and the scroll wheel doesn't work very well. The scroll speed is not constant making me seasick.
    I have my Logitech keyboard & optical mouse MX so I decided to plug it in. See if I can use the extra buttons for expose(I was going to sell it together with my PC). I can't get the other buttons to work, so forget it. I like the whole white look anyway, so the logitech just spoils it for me. Plus the cradle and all the wires make my ibook look very 'messy'. In this one week I kind of got used to surfing using the keyboard instead, and I think I can learn to do without the 2nd button. So I think I'm ready to go with Apple's one button mouse. I must say its largely because of its looks which attracted me to it.

Now the thing is the ibook does not have bluetooth. So I need the bluetooth dongle, which is added cost. But my pda is bluetooth, my handphone is bluetooth so I think I can put it to good use.

Should I get the bluetooth dongle + apple BT mouse or should I just save all that money and get the wired apple mouse?
    The bluetooth is nice to have but its not essential. And my pda is an ipaq so its not really compatible with OS X..I got pocketmac to sync with ical and stuff, but I can't get the notes to sync. Oh well....

So what do you think? Which should I get?

2. mrbailey macrumors newbie

I would just save your money and just get a wired mouse, if the bluetooth isnt that necessary for you with your pda. Also, the bluetooth mouse will drain your battery, which can be a problem if you want to use your laptop away from a charger.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have the BT Mouse with my powerbook, works great, no complaits, i used windows my whole life and now i am completely adjusted to haveing the single button mouse, but if money is an issue and you dont think BT is that big of a deal then go for macmice's wired mouse, best of both worlds, they are also comming out with a BT version but the date has been pushed back so much that no one knows when it will be released

4. whiteangel thread starter macrumors regular

the thing is i've seen the macmice mouse at the shop and i don't like how it looks. Looks wise I still think apple wins hands down.

Maybe i'll go for the wired...... save the BT for a time when i'm richer or when I start working.

oh and by the way, my ibook just got named today after exactly 1 week :D

its called..........snowflake ...... coz its so white, dainty and pretty :p

5. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i've always used Logitech optical mice ever since they came to market. i have one of their smaller silver laptop mice for my PB but i've always loved the Apple Pro mice... but i've never ben able to give up my right mouse button and my wheel. a while ago i realized that i use enough keyboard commands and such that i never really use anything other than the left button anyway unless i'm doing some for of audio/video editing or games (which i don't do a lot of on the 12" anyway).

i went to the Shadyside and asked to see if i could check out a BT Apple mouse and they pulled one out from behind the Genius Bar and let me use it with my PB for awhile and i fell in love with it and ended up leaving the store with one this morning. so far i'm loving it. i've got my corded 3-button handy if i need it, but most of the time the BT mouse is perfect.

6. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

If only Apple would implement that mouse patent with a BT pro mouse I would be happy...maybe that new macmice bt mouse out soon will be what I am after.

7. whiteangel thread starter macrumors regular

8. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

just get the software at logitech for you MX mouse, then you can choose what tot do with all the extra buttons, I use my old Logitech Wheel Mouse Optical with OSX, since the MS BT mouse was a crappy bitch (slow... soooo slow) on wich I couldn't configure the buttons except for Exposé...

So you don't need to buy something new, jus configure the stuff you have for a good use with your mac...

J

9. whiteangel thread starter macrumors regular

The thing is I intend to sell the keyboard and the mouse together with my pc. So using this mouse is just a temporary thing. And I don't need the wireless keyboard anymore. Just extra stuff. I will most probably be leaving Uk after my masters so I want to reduce my stuff to make my life easier when I leave :cool:

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

My MX300 comes with 3 buttons (excluding the button you get by clicking on the scroll wheel). I use that extra button for Expose, and it's fantastic. I think Logitech and MS are supposed to make the best mice, so don't count MS out just because you wanted to "leave them behind." What drives people to leave an electronics company? Its not a divorce. Just get the best for your money and needs. Go with a Logitech and MS alternative, and you'll get a mouse that's $10 cheaper, but utter crap in comparison. MS make great mice. Buy one if it's best for you.

If you can get by on an Apple mouse, then good luck to you, but I like having Expose at my fingertips constantly. I use Expose like a fiend. :D

11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Personally, I love wireless mice. No need to get a bluetooth mouse though. I'd recomend checking out one of Logitech's wireless (non-bluetooth) mice.

12. whiteangel thread starter macrumors regular

hey! I just got a wired apple pro mouse today. decided to save the trouble of batteries and put up with the wire. ;)

now its up to whether I can get used to a one button mouse. see how i feel after a week :rolleyes:

13. bobpensik macrumors regular

I love the look and feel the the Apple mouse but i just can't give up my Right Button and Scroll Wheel, i am FAR to dependent on them! Plus i have Expose buttons assigned to other buttons of the mouse and it saves SO much time!!

As much as i love the look of the Apple mouse i will not give up my Logitech

14. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i have a Logitech wireless mouse sitting in a box of stuff waiting to go up on eBay. it did not have the best respose time, plus i hated having to plug in the USB base. with bluetooth the mouse and laptop just talk to each other and i don't have to worry about carrying around another thing in my bag.

15. whiteangel thread starter macrumors regular

I guess the bluetooth mouse will have to wait till my next mac :rolleyes:

I intend to switch the pc back home to a mac when it becomes obsolete. I think i need to get my mum to use my ibook first or else she won't agree to it. I think it'll save me alot of trouble telling them how to remove viruses over a long distance phone call. heeheehee !!! feels so good to be on the other side !

16. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

Have you looked at the RadTech BT Mouse? I've been looking for a BT for my G5 and came across it. It would be ideal for a laptop user as it is pretty small. Good reviews on it. Uses 2 AA's and actually has a "on/off" switch so when traveling it's really off. Comes in your favorite color too.....white. If I had a laptop I think that this would be the one. Cheers

http://www.radtech.us/Products/BT500.aspx