Should I get a DS lite?

Discussion in 'Games' started by AliensAreFuzzy, Jul 31, 2006.

1. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Recently, I've been debating whether or not I should get a DS lite. I am really excited about Wii already and I know for sure I am going to get one of those, but I'm wondering about getting a DS lite now to tie me over and compliment the Wii.
    I'm wondering, for those of you who have one, what are the drawbacks/cons, what good games are out, what good things are about them, and generally why I should or shouldn't get one.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I want one really badly also. :( I guess at some point I'll stomach the WEP issue and just get one. With the Lite coming in that cute white, it's so hard to resist! :eek:

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Yea sure..why not...knock yourself out.

Everything is kosher with the lite except the small buttons and the internal speakers are weak.

Bless

4. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

^unless you have big hands, the buttons are just the right size.

as for what games I recommend, New Super Mario Bros. and Metroid Prime: Hunters are my favorites so far. I didn't really like Mario Kart as much as everyone else here, but your bound to get alot of recomendations for that.

5. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Get one if you want to. I can't putt my hands off that thing and have been playing Mario Kart ever since...

6. cyclone84 macrumors regular

there are literally hundreds....HUNDREDS of posts about this topic...

look. around.

7. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

There are tons of posts about this but since you already posted...

When I got mine, I really didn't plan on spending that much on games. Now I have 9. There are tons of good games for this system. My favorites so far are Mario Kart, Metroid Prime Hunters (it takes a while to get good at this before you can really enjoy it), Trauma Center, and Phoenix Wright. My girlfriend loves Animal Crossing, Brain Age, Tetris, & Phoenix Wright.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if you want one. get one.
    if you don't want one. then don't.

its a fun little system. as you can tell by the tons of posts on it here...

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

yea its a great system, but i pity late starters :eek: this is the only system where the "must have" games are into double digits. unfortunately there are plenty more to come too :(

Kirby
    Bomberman (tied for best multiplayer)
    Nintendogs
    Advance Wars
    Mario Kart
    Animal Crossing
    Metroid Hunters
    New Mario Bros (the other godlike multiplayer game)
    CASTLEVANIA
    Tetris
    Phoenix Wright
    Trauma Centre
    Brain Age

10. turbopants macrumors regular

Go get one if you have the extra money for it. It's a great system, and the lite is a nice refinement of the platform. A quick search around here will give you tons of great game suggestions. Good luck.

11. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

12. jdechko macrumors 68040

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

14. JBot macrumors 6502

15. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I highly recommend you pick one up. I LOVE mine and it will serve me very well on some upcoming travel I have to do. I have Animal Crossing Wild World, Mario Cart DS (GREAT GAME!) and New Super Mario Brothers. I like them all. :)

16. mac000 macrumors 6502a

um yea, what are you crazy? what kind of question is that?

(help people help, i need you to make decisions for me, help, help)

17. AliensAreFuzzy thread starter macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

To be honest, I just wanted to justify it for myself.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I know exactly what you mean. get the right games and it'll be a very happy purchase.

19. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Save your money:D

Who am I to talk...I love to splurge!

20. daze macrumors 6502

daze

21. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Only if you import a Nintendo Play-Yan attachment or other third party attachment such as the M3. Otherwise, No.

22. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

I had the same problem.. bought one anyway. Just get it, you won't regret it (but forget about web-browsing, this will never really work as good as on a laptop).

23. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

IMO the early reviews are kinda skewed on the DS browser. The thing is a MOBILE browser. Of course it won't work as well as a laptop. The thing isn't anywhere near as powerful as a laptop or as big. I have read that it loads sites at about 8-45 seconds with a few content rich sites coming in at over 1 minute depending on your connection and the site. It will browse mobile sites and sites with pictures turned off extremely quickly which is perfect for email, blogs, news, etc. You can chat on AOL, Yahoo, or MSN on it via chat sites like ebuddy mobile. Pocket PCs cost much more so I really don't think it should be compared to that. The PSP browser is about equal because while it does have faster load times, the interface is slower. Don't get the DS for the browser but if you find that you will be near free Wifi hotspots in places like universities, hotels, restaraunts, and coffees shops, it might be a handy little addon. I have enough books to carry around with me not to want to carry a laptop all the time but a DS fits nicely into my bag and it will be nice to be able to check out Macrumors' mobile site on my University's wifi network. I would carry a laptop but I just never got into taking notes on a laptop. (plus you look kinda dorky) The games are what is good about the DS, if you are only interested in multimedia features then get the PSP.

24. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

if you want to.

a friend of mine just got one and he says he likes it because (a) it matches his iPod/apple hardware (sort of) and (b) it's small so he can fit it in his pocket. i think it looks neat and that it can run gameboy games is cool but the next gaming purchase i make will be the wii, if anything.