should I get a macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hiIamcool, Aug 14, 2006.

  1. hiIamcool macrumors newbie

    Aug 14, 2006
    I was planning on getting a mb, but heard rumours about updates coming soon (as well as the "don't buy updates soon" warning on this site), does anyone know when? also, if I decide to get one, is the black one really worth the difference? and does it have any difference other than the color?
    thank's guys, sorry i'm new to this website!:)
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor


    Staff Member

    Jan 20, 2005
    The MacRumors buyers guide doesn't say anything about whether or not to buy the MacBook, as there's no historical data on it. Try searching the forums here...there are lots of discussions about what people think are going to be updated. With Intel's new portable Merom chip now out, there are a lot of machines that are candidates for an the notebook line, there is debate over whether just the MacBook Pro will see the updated chips or if the MacBook will get them as well. Nobody here has the inside information to know that for sure.

    It is possible that updated MacBooks could be introduced in the next couple of weeks. But my feeling is that they won't be updated for a while yet, as they've only been out for three months.

    As far as the black MacBook is concerned, it has several upgrades over the base white model, but you can custom order those upgrades on the white one as well. In essence, of the $200 price premium for the black MacBook over the top-level standard white MacBook, you are paying $50 for a hard drive upgrade (60 GB --> 80 GB) and $150 for the black color.
  3. hiIamcool thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 14, 2006
    you're right! i don't know why I misread the buyer's guide. idk but 150 seems like a lot to pay for a color, which I'm not even sure if I like more or not! thank's for the info!
  4. hiIamcool thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 14, 2006
    hi, does anyone else have some advice? also, do you think the price difference with the macbook pro is worth it, because it's a pretty big possibility that that will be updated! :)
  5. Acehigh macrumors 6502

    Mar 5, 2006
    Do you need a laptop now? If so buy it now, you can always wait for something new. But I doubt the Macbook will get upgraded any time soon. Also if you are a student , this is the best time to buy an Macbook from apple. If now buy from Amazon and get 100 rebate.

    I brought mine from MacConnection... Went with Black since it had a bigger HD, and didnt want an ibook looking computer. Also wanted a stock computer so i could get a rebate and no tax.
  6. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040


    Mar 24, 2006
    I would buy it now. I doubt that merom will be updated in MBs at this stage and the MBs are already powerful little machines as long as you arent doing really intensive stuff
  7. hiIamcool thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 14, 2006
    thank's for the advice guys!
    i am a student, and the nano definitely sounds nice!:)
  8. mini.boss macrumors member

    Aug 8, 2006
    After years of trying to justify the purchase i finally was ready last week. But I backed off because I need to see if Merom will effect the Macbook/pro line. Even if the Macbook doesnt get the merom, a revision B unit may come out or the price of old Macbook Pro's will drop to Macbook prices.

    Theres just too many possibilities that may result in getting a regrettable deal so waiting a month isnt so bad.
  9. ~L~ macrumors member

    Aug 15, 2006
    I was also thinking of buying a Macbook (white 2.0 ghz) for university, starting middle of September or so. I had a look at one in stores and it really is a nicely designed machine, although there seem to be a lot of horror stories going around with discolouration on palm rests, strange mooing noises, random shutdowns etc.

    Also with the rumours that the MB's will be updated with the new Core 2 Duo processor..

    If I do get one, and I do have problems with it *touch wood*, there's no Apple store in the bonnie hills here, only a reseller. Will they carry out maintainence?

    I'm really eager to switch to Mac for the first time, but right now it seems like a bit too much of a gamble, unless I get a defect-free machine.

    Any advice on whether to purchase or not are *much* appreciated. :D
  10. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040


    Mar 24, 2006
    No one can say for sure but it is very highly unlikely that the MB line will get the merom chip rather the MBPS will so I dont think you have many concerns in buying a MB now (If you want to wait then wait :p) I couldnt!
  11. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

    Nov 30, 2005
    I think that those who believe the MB may be updated soon are those who believe that both the MB and MBP will be upgraded together. Evidence in favour is that the Core 2 Duo costs the same as the current Core Duo, can be dropped into a machine as a straight CPU substitution (i.e. same motherboard design, same RAM, etc) and should soon be available to Apple in the quantities they require.

    Arguments against are that Apple may prefer to transition the MBP first to maintain more of a performance difference or if supplies are limited then will obviously move the MBP first. Alternatively, Apple being Apple they may do nothing whatsoever or may do something completely different that none of us can imagine.

    Personally I think that if the volumes are available they will switch both machines at once. There isn't a cost difference to them and nowadays the speed/price comparison with regular Windows laptops is too easy for them to be able to get away with an artificial performance divide. When that will be I don't know. I think Intel have vaguely said volume shipments will begin at the end of this month and ramp up into September.

    But let's keep things in perspective. The only difference with the Core 2 Duo for Tiger is a 5-15% speed gain (per independent review sites, Intel's official 20% claim is probably a little optimistic). In future OS iterations the 64bitness will help, but mostly only because it makes virtual memory management a lot easier. You'll get a little more life out of it, but the same rule applies as always: if you buy now rather than waiting 6 months then expect to be unusably out of date 6 months sooner than if you had waited.
  12. ~L~ macrumors member

    Aug 15, 2006
    hmm...thanks for the info Thomas Harte, cleared up my ideas of the actual speed difference between the two processors!

    I think the current specs for the 2.0 ghz Macbook are pretty much perfect for me, theres nothing I feel is missing nor do I feel its over spec-ced (made up word?)

    Right now what's keeping me from buying one is the defects that a lot of people have been complaining about, as I mentioned in my earlier post, rather than the whole processor upgrade thing.

Share This Page