Should I Get A New iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Glenn Wolsey, Jan 27, 2006.

  1. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

    Glenn Wolsey

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2005
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #1
    I currently have a 17" 2Ghz iMac G5, with 1GB of RAM (not iSight), and I'm considering selling this machine and paying a couple of hundred dollars to upgrade to the new 1.83GHz Intel iMac G5, with 1GB of RAM.

    Do you think its a good idea to move from PPC to Intel? I want the machine because of iSight, Front Row, and primarily the new Intel chips.

    Thoughts please.
     
  2. varmit macrumors 68000

    varmit

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2003
    #2
    If you have all the software you need right now, there is no need to switch to one that software makers have yet to catch up too yet.
     
  3. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 15, 2005
    Location:
    Tacoma WA
    #3
    Given your machine, I think you could either go one of two ways....

    Keep it seeing as its a good machine, and will last you easily another year+ some. That would give you enough time to see another revision, or two revisions if lucky out of the new iMacs and then you could get even more for your money....

    The second option is to sell now, get more for you iMac then you would a year from now, and upgrade...

    Me personally I would hold out for another revision just to see what if anything they end up changing, advancing, or just upgrading. Your machine is a champ right now, but in the end its really up to you and what you want more.

    Z
     
  4. Glenn Wolsey thread starter macrumors 65816

    Glenn Wolsey

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2005
    Location:
    New Zealand
  5. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2002
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #5
    Don't be stupid ... your computer is terrific for everything out now. Upgrade next year, the Intel road map has a very steep upgrade curve and the universal binary transition should be complete. You buy an Intel now and you'll be asking yourself in another six to nine months whether you should be selling again for a Merom iMac.
     
  6. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

    powerbook911

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    #6
    For those reasons, I think it *might* be worth it to you. Front Row, iSight, and faster performance when using native applications. Seems like it is probably worth a couple hundred dollars to me.

    That (in my opinion) is a beauty of the Mac world. Machines don't fall in value like PCs, so it makes it more affordable to upgrade. We're Mac geeks, if there is something you want and you can afford the upgrade, I don't see any reason not to do it.

    Now, if you use a lot of high-end PowerPC applications then you might be best to wait until they are universal. Otherwise, those applications (i.e. Photoshop) will run slower than your machine now.

    If you're mainly concerned with Apple consumer applications and low to moderately intensive third-party applications, then the machine would perform wonderfully for you. It is memory hungry though, particularly when using Rosetta applications.

    Of course, you could wait too. Your machine is *far* from shabby or outdated. I consider your machine awesome, its also easier to service.
     

Share This Page