Should I get a Wii?

Discussion in 'Games' started by wrldwzrd89, Feb 8, 2007.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm trying to decide whether or not to purchase a Wii. I like the price, but I don't play video games anywhere nearly as much as I used to. I don't have anyone to play multiplayer games against, either :( I do miss the older consoles, though, and would definitely make use of the Virtual Console feature.

2. Moshiiii macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

I say yes!
    My reason:
    A lot of people I know that were not videogamers have been turned into a casual gamer due to the Wii.

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

If you want the VC games then probably yes. T

he Wii doesn't have any killergames for it right now (cept Zelda which imo is hardly a 'killer' title :rolleyes: ) but it seems like most people are just stoked to play old N64 games so maybe you will be too!

4. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Save your money and instead go on craigslist or ebay and buy a ton of old games and consoles instead.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Like my pink friend said above....if you are into the old games and want to play them. Right now there really is not a game out there thats worth the purchase to me but that will change soon when MP:C hits the market...I would say get it and play the old stuff until the new stuff is gold.

No rush right now.

Bless

6. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

7. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I would consider it; its an excellent console if you dont have a lot of time to play; Wii sports and VC games lend themselves to quick and fun games. I can't litter my family room with old consoles, carts and controllers, so the small wii with no wires is a godsend.

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Old consoles are lots of fun. I think maybe they are starting to have some worth.

I remember a few years ago when EBGames was getting rid of their used N64's, they had a deal - buy 4 used N64 games, and get a free N64! I bought popular yet common carts (like Turok, and Star Wars) and got 4 games and a system for $25 as a gift for a friend!

I don't know what kind of deals there are now but you can probably get a lot of good games for cheap. You can also check out the classic gaming expos. The ones I go to are.

http://www.cgexpo.com (back in Vegas!)

http://www.midwestclassicgaming.com

9. BydoEmpire macrumors newbie

Depends on what you like. Zelda: TP is a fantastic game, no question, but you could also just buy a cheap, used Gamecube and play it on that. I've enjoyed pretty much everything on the Wii, and I'm very satisfied with the console. Zelda, Rayman, Elebits, Excite Truck, Trauma Center, Wario Ware, Wii Sports - all lots of fun. I also thoroughly enjoyed Red Steel and Tony Hawk despite the lukewarm reviews. Monkey Ball and Rampage were both pretty disappointing, mostly due to poor implementation of the controls.

The VC system is a blast if you like those types of game (even though I have a Genny, SNES, NES, etc hooked up and ready to go, I still like playing VC games, and have bought a bunch). Many of the TG-16 games are a steal at $6. Like rosalindavenue mentioned, I don't have tons of time to play games these days (though I did *make* time to finish Zelda and Red Steel), and the wii has a lot of games you can enjoy in quick bursts.

If you're not really sure, there's no harm in waiting until there are more games that interest you. Or pick up a cheap cube, xbox or ps2 in the mean time.

10. Chris Bangle macrumors 6502a

BUY IT.. if you can find one. If you cant find one wait till the next apple launch.

11. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

No need to buy a used 'Cube since I've already got one. I have zero interest in non-Nintendo systems... That's good to know about the games, though Zelda: Twilight Princess is the only one of significant interest to me.

12. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Prior the DS, I hadn't been gaming much. I had grown bored of all the consoles and only a few WC3 mods were keeping my attention every other week. Anyway, the DS and now the Wii have all changed that and I game more now than I have in years. Nintendo's systems really shook things up and brought fun back into the gaming, so don't even hestitate on a Wii purchase, especially for the Virtul Consolse, I love this feature.

Anyway there are plenty of great games, especially Zelda which is best played on the Wii, and there are more slated to come in the next few months.

<]=)

13. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Well, I have a 360 and a Wii and the Wii is getting just about all of my play time. It's is very fun to quickly load up Wii Sports or Excite Truck. I have Zelda but haven't gotten far into it yet.

14. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Right now I don't recommend getting a Wii unless you are a Zelda fan or have a close friend or significant other whom you are hoping to convert into a gamer. Don't expect to succeed in the latter, however, unless that person is already into games except for controller frustrations, lack of coordination, etc. That is, the Wii controller makes the games more interesting for non-gamers, but the novelty only goes so far...

15. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Wii sports is pretty fun and isn't like most tradtional games. I'd suggest trying one somewhere if you can, then deciding, it's def. not the usual video console experience at least at the moment.

16. xtopher macrumors regular

xtopher

ok so here's what you do

1. Find a wii
    2. Buy a wii
    3. Invite me over and lets play!

i dont know about where you live but around here we have them in stock

17. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You're basically due north of me... except that you're in Canada and I'm in the USA.

18. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

I can attest to the enthusiasm that this system has generated in non-gamers including my gf. If you're even a little bit sociable and occasionally have people to visit you, you'll appreciate the Wii. Last week my landlord came to my flat to fix a plumbing problem, and ended up getting drawn into 40 minutes of Wii Sports games!

And bear in mind that I'm someone who hates sports in real life.

19. xtopher macrumors regular

xtopher

Yea i see that now, i drove in that area when i saw cuyahoga falls.

PS: Drew Carey Rules!:p

20. roach macrumors regular

It's been about a month since I touched my wii (he he he). I didn't like zelda and I thought call of duty would be cool, but I just didn't enjoy it. I'm actually back on my PC game. Hopefully, better games come out...soon! I'm also planning to get a 360 soon.

21. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Wait a while...
    Just buy an N64, and a few games and you will be set!

22. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I think the correct question should be, where do i find a Wii? Defiantly get one :)

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Definitely look into getting one. It's a fresh experience that'll probably make you start playing games more again. Virtual console will be useful, and by the end of the year we'll have Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Smash Bros Brawl...:D

24. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Yep, you forgot Super Paper Mario and the third party titles are lookin better too with some M rated games like, Godfather, Scarface, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, Sadness, as well as, DDR, and Guitar Hero. Come on Rockstar, port a GTA and Square make a Final Fantasy and there will be no need for Sony anymore....

Ok maybe for you Metal Gear, God of War, Devil May Cry, and Gran Turismo fans but thats about it...