Should I get Advance Wars DS?

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Aug 24, 2005.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm itching to get a new DS game, but with Mario Kart and Animal Crossing around the corner I'm trying to decide whether to save my money or not.

And I really want Ultimate Spider-Man for GameCube. Oh and I am getting MegaMan Battle Network DS on release day.

I'm wondering if I should get Advance Wars. I've heard people (online and in real life) raving about the GBA game, but the clips I've seen didn't look that impressive; it looks like a glorified board game, move character A here, roll dice to see damage done, etc.

Should I get Advance Wars?

Alternatively, what about Nintendogs? Frankly, I'm a bit embarrassed to be seen holding the game :eek: A friend of mine wants to get it but is similarly embarrassed, and said that if I buy it at the same time he will get it too.

I have a couple friends with DS's so multiplayer is always a plus.

Should I buy now, or wait? Lurk eBay perhaps?

Someone try to sell Advance Wars to me, please. I'm not sure on the whole game.

2. Devie macrumors 6502a

I have Advance Wars on GBA, and it is an absolutely awesome game, you can play it for hours and hours on end and the war is still going on. I think of it as the new way to play chess :). (BTW, I really hate turn based RPG's, as I find them incredibly boring)

I will be getting Advance Wars DS on its release when it finally decides to release.

Why are you embarresed to get Nintendogs? Whats so bad about having a little puppy to finally call your own... in a virtual world? I for sure am getting it and I dont give a **** what people think of me when playing it, its my choice to play so I will and I will enjoy it :). Their loss.

3. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

AW : DS just came out over here which is why I'm asking.

It sounds good from what you say, and I do enjoy chess (with another person, not against a computer) and hate turn based RPG's...

Dunno, I'm really split on it. It sounds fun in multiplayer but vs the computer?

Nintendogs:
    Anyway, it's not just the 'girliness' of it; I don't see whats fun with throwing a virtual ball for a virtual dog on a screen. I have a real dog. She loves it when I throw her ball. I'd like someone to explain the appeal of the game.

4. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

AW: DS, get it, it's awesome, you really won't regret it.

5. Studawg7 macrumors regular

that game is the main reason i am thinking about getting a ds. so what if im 24 lol

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My nintendogs has been delayed a week (damn you americans! my importer shop cant get hold of it for love or for money!) so im thinking about changing my order to Advance Wars. or maybe Pac n Roll which seems to be doing well.

Im TERRIBLE (needs caps) at the old Advance Wars games. Give me any other game, Golden Sun, Pokemon, Metroid Prime 2, F-Zero GX even Fire Emblem and i'll walk all over it... but not AW. but for multiplayer im sorted. we're all of equal skill there and its great fun.

looks beautiful. a reviewer on Gamefaqs called it "Digital crack".

7. Devie macrumors 6502a

Against the computer it is still very very good. Since I only had one SP, and being to scared to bring it to school (back then anyway), and a brother that doesnt live at home anymore, I only got to play it multyplayer a few times, and I was the only of my friends that had the game...

8. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

It is GREAT!

I bought this and Nintendogs on release date... I really wanted to love Nintendogs (and I still sorta do...) but AW:DS has captured my life

9. cubist macrumors 68020

Reviews of Advance Wars DS say that it is incredible, like 9.5 out of 10. I'm planning to get it.

As for Nintendogs, it's kind of like Animal Crossing or The Sims. To me, these games don't seem to have any objective. There's no goal to work toward; no structure to build; just routine interaction. Perhaps that does make them a 'feminine' kind of game. They are very popular, so people must enjoy playing them.

10. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I thought Nintedo was RETARDED? WHY ARE YOU SUPPORTING SUCH A STUPID TERRIBLE COMPANY?

Just playing around... I haven't picked up a DS, yet... waiting for them to get onto the used market. PSP are available in droves used, for a pretty good price too, $199 I think it was, but you can't get a used DS to save your life :(

11. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Depends where you live, over here there are a lot of used DS's and not that many PSP's, but when you see people walking on the street they always have DS's ;)

In fact, I have only seen one PSP in the wild. Ever. (Wild means outside of Best Buy).

12. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Like crack...

I say get it, but be warned... the two GBA Advanced Wars were addictive as hell. So get it and reserve a pretty big portion of your time to dedicate to it.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I started playing AW2 early this morning... and yea, i can play it. i can win most of the time... but god damn im so slow. it takes me ages compared to other peoples speed.

has anybody got any tips? Ive made myself a promise... if i get good at AW then im getting the DS one on import.

*incidentally, AW was the first GBA game i played. ok i admit it was a japanese ROM, my first and only, but it was so fantastic I went out and bought a GBA the next day and AW on its release date. I still have fantasies of myself playing AW sat under a tree on a big hill, overlooking the villages below on a scorching day. <my story!

14. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Alright, I'm going to buy either one or the other (Nintendogs or Advance Wars DS) tomorrow morning or afternoon. Which one?

15. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I'd go with AW. I haven't played either one but the replay value of AW looks 10x that of Nintendogs, because of multiplayer and the map editor.

I've rededicated myself to Burnout 3: Takedown of late, so I'm going to finish that before buying AW. I'm up to 90% completion. I got all crash golds, all crash headlines, and 12/20 signature takedowns so far. The last 10 gold medals are a true test of hand-eye coordination. They require full boost, no crashes, at 211 mph for 3+ minutes... intense.

16. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

You can't go wrong with Advance Wars. I still play original and second Advance Wars for GBA from time to time.
    Advance Wars series has the highest replay value of all games I ever played. The only comparable games in terms of replayability are Fire Emblem series and Tetris.

Got AW DS two days ago, started playing yesterday. It's addictive and I like the new twists (did not try real-time thing yet) but somehow graphics looked better in AW 2 (Black Hole Rising) on GBA SP.
    But the game is definitely 10 out of 10 in terms of gameplay, so far the only mast-have game for DS.

To conclude, answer to your question is "YES, run and get AW DS".

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

pssht Burnouts a walk in the park compared to F-Zero GX. 211mph for 3+ minutes? try the Story mode in F-Zero GX ;)

but seriously.

Nintendogs is cute and fun. Advance Wars is portable digital crack.

I'm considering ordering AW off cd-wow.co.uk very soon. people just love it. i probably will too. i suppose only when i've played both games i could give an opinion.

18. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Unfortunately my gamecube bit the dust a few months back so I can't play that one. Loved the old F-Zero game though. That's one more on my revolution list...

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

GX was almost the perfect game until you beat Story and you find out there are 2 more higher difficulties. i swear. Very Hard really is a hairline off impossible

20. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

Well, pick up the GBA versions 1st. You may not like Advance Wars DS. I, however, am addicted to them. Try the 1st 2 from the GBA. You can get them dirt cheap from EBGames or Gamestop. Or try out the ROM.

Advance Wars DS is great. Awesome sounds, graphics and great new units. I don't see myself using the stylus too much though. The 2 screen thing works out in the sense that you no longer have to switch screens all the time. I recommend it.

21. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I bought Advance Wars DS already...

Wow.

I guess I should have listened to your warnings.

I had to get up early in the morning, but before bed I started playing. I completely lost track of time and suddenly realized it was 2 AM...

That game IS addictive! And absolutely awesome! :D

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

even though i'm going to be terrible at it... tomorrow im going to order Advance Wars DS. I keep watching the trailer over and over. i know i shouldn't... but i HAVE to get it.

if it had online abilities i'd snatch it up in a second. could play against someone just as bad as me :D whenever i wanted! oh well :)