Should I get an Apple 20" display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by xray, Apr 19, 2004.

1. xray macrumors newbie

Apr 19, 2004
    I'm very confused. Right now I have 3 year old 20" CRT display (Sony CPD-G520) which is starting to age a bit. The text edges are getting a tiny bit blurry..even after adjusting the sharpness etc. And once a week or so the display hiccups like some cut the power for a quarter second. The CRT is connected to a dual 1.42GHz MDD G4. Video card NVIDIA GeForce Ti 4600 (128MB).

Anyway, now I want to get the 20" LCD display from Apple. But my concerns are:
    1. Is the LCD going to be sharper than what I've got now?
    2. Is the LCD going to be as bright as what I have now?
    3. Why did Macworld recommend the NEC/Mitsubishi LCD2080UX as its editors choice and not the Apple 20" display?
    4. Should I wait for the price to come there any rumors for Apple displays to update? Getting the 20" Apple on a discount due to product updates would be sweet.

Any advice would be grealty appreciated. Thanks in advance to all the Apple display experts out there... :cool:
  2. thecombatwombat macrumors member

Mar 15, 2004
    I think the general consensus on display rumors is that new displays will come out when new Power Macs come out, probably within the next 2 or months at most I think.

As for the display being comparable to your current CRT, well, I've never used that CRT, but the 20 in cinema is a very nice display. If your current CRT is dying and you need a new display, maybe you should go ahead and and get a 20 in. Even if it's out of date soon, it will stand up as a very quality display for quite a while I'm sure.

However if you're not feeling too hard-pressed, I'd wait until at least after WWDC.
  3. aquafina macrumors newbie

Sep 5, 2003
    20" Sony Trinatron vs. 17" Apple FPD

I have both, and I would say the 17" flatpanel is equally as sharp as the 20" sony, especially married to the digital display card in my G4. However, on the downside for the apple display, the blacks are not nearly as black. You can really see the difference when watching a movie in a darkened office. Also, the blues are off hue. I don't notice it normally, but put the two beside each other, and you can tell. Also, when I print photos, the 20" sony does a better job at matching the colors (expecially the blues) to the printed output. I'd say unless you are doing commerical color work, the apple monitor is quite nice, much lighter and smaller and it is better ecologically both now and when it dies. If you are doing commercial color work, you'll be happier with a CRT and a color calibrator tuned to your chosen output device.