Should I get an Intel iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cruxed, Apr 9, 2006.

1. cruxed macrumors regular

cruxed

I have an intense case of Gear Lust.

As you can see from my sig, my setup is by no means under-powered.

Yet, I find myself lusting after a 20" Intel iMac, with it's sleek all-in-one design, and it's extra features (iSight + FrontRow + Boot Camp)

I could really use a dual-boot system, as I play many games, and coincidentally, my PC system is getting outdated.

Additionally, I would like to purchase another 20" display for a two display setup, so if I sell my PowerMac, I can have this desired setup (iMac's screen + Cinema Display).

Regarding Rosetta, the only non-universal apps I use are the Office suite, and occasionally Photoshop CS2 (I'm only a light user).

Also, I think that the Intel iMac is more future proof, and will provide longer lasting enjoyment for me and my parents.

What do you guys think?

Edit: If you guys haven't already noticed, I'm looking to SELL my PowerMac, and purchase the iMac. I'm not looking to keep both of them

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If you could generally do with another mac, and your also looking to replace your gaming pc, then your pretty much covered.

What I'm surprised and must say a little disgusted by is how snappier windows feels (even browsing the web) on my imac than it is in osX....

I prefer os X obviously and never had any problem (i'vehad it since 10.1) with it, until now... A new OS X shouldn't feel as sluggish in comparison :mad:

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why not wait for the Mac Pro's as they will be more upgradeable for gaming? (or is that not an issue?)

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

No, you should not get the iMac. Keep your PowerMac, its faster and has awesome upgradability options. Getting iMac would be a downgrade from your current system.

5. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Well, I think an iMac would be great for you actually. If you sell the PM, you can use the money to have not only a dual display setup, but you'll have a pretty fast Intel machine which you can use for Windows and Mac OS X. Therefore, if you even wanted, you could run the non-universal apps like Photoshop or Office on your Windows partition. I think it's a good idea, and you're right, Intel is Apple's future, therefore, it is more future-proof.

6. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I would hold off and wait to see what the new Towers offer before downgrading to a prosumer machine.

Actually your parents could buy an iMac as a replacement "FAMILY" home system, but your system is fine just the way it is.