Should I get an internal or external dvd burner? Recommendations Please!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kmarketing, Dec 6, 2004.

1. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Mar 26, 2004

I am contemplating upgrading my dvd burner, but I just don't know which route will be more economical and worthwhile?

What do you think?

Can you recommend any particular models? I see them cheap everywhere, even the external ones are reasonable now?

I've heard that pioneer is reliable since macs usually come with those drives. Any other brands are good (sony, memorex, etc.)? I know lacie makes compatible ones.

What do you think about an internal one, and then putting it into an external case. Are those good?

I apologize if this should be in the Peripherals forum.

By the way, I have a g5 single 1.8 1st gen with a pioneer 4x burner.

For those of you that recommend pioneer, is this the right one (I don't see anything about Mac compatibility):,00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent

Please let me know,
  2. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

Aug 21, 2004
    Perth, WA, Australia
  3. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    I have a Pioneer DVR-107D 8x DVD-writer and that is supported natively by Mac OS X. Just buy it. Put it in and away you go. I'm not sure the 108 is native supported but generally if it isn't you can persuade it to work with Patchburn (google for it). The only problem with this is that (if like between 10.2 and 10.3) Apple changes it's driver format then Patchburn won't work anymore - so neither will your drive :(
  4. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2003
    i believe that a burner has to be internal to work with iDVD, if that matters to you.
  5. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    There's a hack to allow burning to external drives.

I got the LaCie 16X dual-layer d2 external drive for $199 at my local Apple Store. It came with Toast Titanium 6 and nicely complements my other d2 external drives. It has been absolutely fantastic - no issues whatsover, and, I think, a great price for the drive (which has a very solid case) and Toast. Highly recommended.
  6. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2003
    is this true that u cannot have an external drive to burn with imovie or idvd.
  7. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    No, with the hack, you can use an external drive.
  8. armandocerna macrumors regular

Sep 22, 2004
    Chico, CA
    Even if patchburn doesn't work you can always export the project to a VIDEO_TS folder and burn it with toast