Should I get an iPod or an iPod Mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by OutThere, Mar 15, 2004.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    I am looking in to getting an iPod, and I felt that I would check here to get some peoples' opinions before I went ahead. I have ~7GB of music on my computer, and I have to decide whether or not the size of the iPod Mini is enough to make up for not having 1/3 - 1/2 of my music with me. Is there anyone else here who has had to make the same choice? I'd be interested in knowing some peoples' opinions on this. I would either get the iPod Mini (4GB) or the 15GB iPod Original.
  2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    totally cool
    Although it is nice to have all your songs with you all of the time like I do with my 15 Gb iPod, I never listen to even a fraction of them while I'm on the road. The mini iPod seems to hold enough for someone to listen to while on vaction for 3 weeks. Unless you really want to have everything with you, I'd say save money and grab a mini.
  3. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Mar 13, 2002
    Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    Have you touched them yet? I wasn't all that excited about the mini when it was first announced. I played with one at a store a few weeks ago, and I am now in love! I didn't think I'd like the button layout, but I love it. You don't even have to move your thumb to get to them. And they are real, moving buttons. Sometimes, the buttons on my 3rd gen iPod aren't responsive, and I don't know if the iPod is just running slow or it really didn't sense what I pushed. So, I push three or four more times, the system catches up, and I am several songs past where I wanted to be! You actually get to feel a click on the mini. And, the mini seems to fit so perfectly in my small hand! The lack of chrome on the back should equate to a lack of scratches. Personally, I love the mini, but I like to keep all my songs on my iPod. I leave in a hurry about every day so I don't have time to change my playlist to whatever I want to hear that day. I plan to get my wife an iPod mini as a birthday gift later this year. I plan to borrow it from her as much as she'll let me unti the new wears off! If 4 gig is enough for you, I'd say get it!
  4. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    i'll completely contradict the first reply and say you should get the 15 GB. :D

you have 7 GB of music - this means you can double your collection and still have all of your music on hand in the 15 GB iPod. (or a substantial backup space...) if you had, say 12 GB, then i would have recommended the Mini because 15 GB is cutting it close anyway so might as well go for the size advantage.

but with bigger than Mini capacity but much smaller than the 15 GB collection, i think 15 GB iPod is the way to go.

(i only say this because i got the 10 GB iPod when i had about 8 GB of music. my collection subsequently increased to nearly 15 GB so i'm kinda stuck in the middle...)

the beauty of iPod is that you can listen to any music whenever you want... even if it's once every few months that you listen to one particular song, it's an awesome feeling to know that it's there.

but in the end, it's up to you to decide if the size is an important consideration or not...
  5. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    i kind of like the look of the mini more than the original but having not touched one i cant confirm this. the main thing i would argue is that the ipod acts usefully as a back up for my PB which is good especially as i dont need an external HD yet, so as a result i would never be able to downgrade from my 20G
  6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Today I played with the iPod mini today, and all I can say is WOW. Makes me want to sell my 10 GB iPod. It's... just.... so.... wonderful. Of course, I don't have as much music as you. Go play with both of them. They're both great....
  7. Maritan macrumors regular

Nov 6, 2003
    I don't have either, but I have played with both of them.

I like the mini more than the original for ONE reason only - tactile feedback when I push a button. I need that kind of feedback.
  8. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    I'm going to take a journey and play around with the iPods at a store, because I think that that will really help me make a decision. Thanks for all the input guys!
  9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Yeah, holding them in your hands-- or at least playing with them, if they're bolted to a display-- is the best way to tell. Personally, I'd say the mini has it's market, but if you're deciding between the two, go with the 15gig. I've heard a few people say "i only listen to a fraction of it..." Take it from me, it's nice to have your ENTIRE library with you, when you're discussing some old or obscure song, it's cool to be able to whip it out and play it ;) Plus, it's managing the space on your iPod is annoying-- it's a lot nicer to just plug it in, have it update, and be done with it. No worries about deleting albums to make room, or compromising. Just all of your music, until your library more than doubles in size :D

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    Let me add my $265 here (what I paid for my 15GB). I have a little over 8GB of music and wouldn't trade my 15GB for a mini even thought I lust after one. I bring it to work every day and love being able to listen to anything I want, anytime I want. With my whole collection with me, I find myself listening to things I haven't heard in ages.
  11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    as much as i love to have my entire library with me for those times when i get the urge to hear a random song, i would get a mini...

i didn't think i would say that till i played with my friends'... wow- its SO freakin... well... MINI! it's very very cool... like someone said above, go to an apple store if you can and hold em both and decide... my vote goes to mini
  12. briankonar macrumors regular

Mar 10, 2004
    i just played with a classmates green ipod mini, and it's pretty nice. the only thing i liked about it was the size obviously, which isn't enough to warrant an upgrade for me. the only plusses i saw where the new navigation buttons (far improved over 3rd gen, if only the 1st gen had a solid state scroll wheel) and the size factor. if your into people oohing and aahing over your latest and greatest gadgetry, then the mini is for you. although i'm "fashion concious" i'm not obsessed enough to require having the smallest and sexiest gadgetry available.

i'd recommend the 15GB because it makes an excellent portable hard drive, which easily makes up for the size and sleekness of the mini.
  13. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    Search your house for things of value, then put them up for sale on eBay. Once the auctions close and you have the money head directly to the nearest Apple Store and ...... BUY BOTH!! Oh how awesome that would be.
    I love being able to carry ALL my music with me. But seeing as ALL my music fits on my iPod Mini, I am not of much help. I guess if I had to choose I would say go for all your music. I mean after all it is the music that moves your soul.