Should I Get an Xbox 360?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Steve Jobless, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Steve Jobless macrumors 6502

I'm tired of my big PS2 and I'm intrested in getting a "next gen system", I've settled on the 360 due to PS3's excessive price. I also have a cousin that works in best buy that hopefully can hook me up. As of now I dont have an HD TV, my other one burned out after 1.5 years but I plan on getting one later. Since I'm getting a MB[P] I'll be setting up a wireless network so I intend to use XBL. The graphics I've seen are amazing. I plan on getting the Remote (for my Windows Media Center) XBL gold and possibly the wifi adapter or Ill use a wired router. I plan on getting PGR3, Godfather, NBA 2K7, MAdden 07. Should I hold off? I want to get the Premium system.

thanks

2. wako macrumors 65816

If you want it, get it...

I would definitely not wait for the PS3. The release date is still unknown. It could be 2007 for all we know. I would much rather get the Wii than the PS3 if anything.

I have the 360 right now and it is great. HD is definitely a must because you are more or less wasting money if you dont go HD. Even the lowest settings for HD makes a world of difference.

One game i would add to your lineup of games to get is DEFINITELY Geometry Wars. ONLY CRAP IT IS ADDICTIVE. I know i paid 400 bucks for a next generation game system that can render amazing graphics in 3D, but Geometry wars is so fun despite it just being 2D! Besides, it is a game that is less tahn 10 bucks!

3. mkaake macrumors 65816

Sounds like you've got several good reasons to buy now, and no good reasons to wait... honestly. I don't think you'll see a price cut for another few months or so if they have a price cut at all, and it sounds like you've got a pretty decent handle on what kind of games you'll want to play.

Go for it!

Just buy somewhere that has a good return policy and extended warranty - on the off shot you get a bad unit. There's not a ton of them out there, but there are enough that you should consider it.

4. adamyoshida macrumors regular

I wouldn't bother.

I had one for a few months, and then flipped it on Craigslist There's really not much in the way of games available, yet. Basically, I played Need for Speed, Call of Duty, and Ghost Recon, then never saw any real need to even fire it up again.

In about a month, I've already used my DS Lite waaaaaaaaaay more than I ever used my 360.

I'd wait and get a Wii. That should be a hell of a system.

5. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

don't wait, get it now. it has some great games available. Dead Rising, Oblivion, PGR3, GRAW, and then of course theres XBL Arcade which is fun. There's really nothing bad about it.

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Honestly.. no, the xBox 360 is a xBox 1.1 in my eyes, bigger harddrive, stronger CPU/GPU with louder fans all around no worth 400(the 299 is not worth the price, if your going to game a lot or do a lot of Demo from online)

How ever once the price drops, and Halo 3 comes out, it will rock... but if your looking at a PS3 i'd say go 360 over the PS3, main;y because the "good" 360 is less then the "bad" PS3, and the things you get in the PS3 are not worth it

Or if you want a "next gen" gaming system now i'd get it(however i'd say Wii is much more "next gen" then any system) Also if you don't have a xBox , Halo 1+2 and KOTOR 1+2 are both very good games

7. Steve Jobless thread starter macrumors 6502

I'd also want to get NFSU: Carbon

so far I've got ~$200 down for a system.

I'd rather get it from Costco (best return policy ever) but will probably settle for best buy and its warranty.

thanks for the help.

8. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

the prices are going to remain $299 and $399 until the third Xbox comes out. They're just going to include more stuff with it.

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

LOL that is the funniest thing I've read in a while.

OP if you like what you see on the 360 of course you should buy 1. It's a great console with heaps going for it.

10. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Just an XBOX 1.1? Have you heard of the CPU? This Xenon processor has 3 cores running at 3.2 ghz...Each, has 8 times more RAM than the original, and has a 500 MHz GPU made by ATI...

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

You really think MS will leave the price the same for that long of a time? I mean thats abouts 5 years at the same price, i'd rather have a 199 and 299 xBox 360.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

3 Cores? O my? Then it is clear i was mistaking!!

But really graphics go up each time a few console comes out and the chips run HOT, with out software it back it up, its worthless. I've seen the 360 with good graphics, they look nice, but agian its one of only thing xBox 360 has over xBox, along with a bigger hardrive(if you buy the 400 dollars one, if not its a downgrade fron xbox), wireless controllers(agian assuming you buy the high end one)

All in All the 360 wasn't in my option, worth the wait of 4 years. They should have put Wi-Fi in them, along with free online play,support for more then 4 controllers, atleast a 5GB hardrive on the low end 360.

13. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

As for a unknown date, back in MAY during sony's E3 conference they did indeed anounce the release PS3 release date; November 17th, 2006

Still get a 360. Its more bang for your buck.

14. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Zap2 I hear what you are saying the 360 is garbage, but then so is the PS3 it's just a PS2 with better graphics and no rumble feature, and don't even get me started on the Wii it's basically a GameCube with a Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Repetitive Strain Injury option added.

:rolleyes:

15. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Get a Wii.

I really hope you are aware of this machine!!!

Rich.

16. risc macrumors 68030

risc

So the Wii works with XP MCE for streaming media etc? Did you even read what the OP wrote?

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

IF you are after a streaming media device get a modded Xbox 1. It's leaps and bounds better than the 360's "media centre" abilities, ie you don't need Windows XP, any machine with a LAN connection will do.

I agree with you Zap2. I'm finding it hard justifying that 360 premium price tag when I don't see much value. I hear it's even worse in america where you guys had HD enabled Xbox 1's! I really can't see the point at the moment. Not until some super quality games hit. Looks like the DS situation, abysmal first year but then everything changed. I suppose we'll see! The 360 is only a good buy if you didn't have the original.

18. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

i know they will. they've said that repeatedly.

19. risc macrumors 68030

risc

That has to be one of the boldest statement I've ever read on these forums! :)

Having actually taken the time to read the OPs original post and follow up 1 I can see no reason for him not to buy a 360 for what he wants, but then based on what others are saying I was clearly mistaken.

20. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Link?

I know they have said it for this xMas season its staying the same but i had not heard it was for as long as the 360 was MS main system

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

No, the PS3 has blue-ray, and as much as i hate PS based systems.. it is a cheap blue-ray player, along with online gaming. The Wii is making huge steps toward a new type of gaming, plus all new games for Wii.

Also Halo 3 would make be pick a 360 over a PS3, along with price, but i'd go with the Wii first

22. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Wow you weren't mean to respond to that post, I was being SARCASTIC. I was actually having a go at you for saying the Xbox 360 was the Xbox 1.1 which anyone who has owned both systems would find completely retarded. Anywho... wow seriously you didn't get that?

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

In the words of developer American McGee...

24. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The Wii is just a controller upgrade. While it has cool features, that is all the Wii offers that's new. Basically its a Gamcube 1.2 with a new CPU/GPU and the new controller. I'm no Sony or MS fan. I haven't been loyal with my consoles at all. My first console was a N64, then a PS2, and now the Xbox 360. IMHO, with the graphics of PGR3, I can't wait until the games start taking advantage of the 360's potential. I am sure it will be the same for the PS3 with the Cell CPU and all. Developers have to perfect there coding for it to take advantage of its potential. But, Nintendo. Eh. As I said the controller sure is innovative. But, if a CPU, GPU, and optical drive upgrade( Blu Ray and HD-DVD) can't qualify as next gen, why should a simple controller upgrade make the Wii next gen?

25. risc macrumors 68030

risc

[​IMG]