Should I Get Crucial? What's the Story?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Artimus, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Artimus macrumors newbie

I'm looking at 15" Powerbook with 1GB of ram. But lately I've been reading about all the money I can save (and get even more ram) by using crucial. How does it work? What do you suggest I buy in the PB and what do you suggest I get at crucial? If I could save enough I might get a 17"...

2. kbonnel macrumors 6502

Hi. I think most people would suggest that you purchase additional memory from somewhere other than apple.com. I would also think that most people would suggest purchasing good quality memory, which crucial is. When I bought my PB, I decided to replace the 2 256MB memory SODIMMS with crucial 512MB SODIMMS from newegg.com. A lot of people will also move from the 2 256MB SODIMMS to 1 512MB SODIMM when they order the PB from apple.com. (I didn't do this, as I already has the 2 512MB SODIMMS when I got my PB). I don't see any benefit between the 15 and the 17 PB, other than screen size. I think you need to determine what you want to use the PB for, and pick based on that.

Kimo

3. Artimus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thing is, I've never installed anything like RAM before. Is there a guide on how to do it?

4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Apple has a guide on their website on how to do it and the truth is it is EXTREMELY easy to do you just unscrew four screws, take off the panel, pop in the new ram and close it back up. You can easily do it yourself.

http://www.apple.com/support/powerbook/doityourself/15al/

download the .pdf there

5. Artimus thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome :D I will definitely be doing that then. And I'm now leaning more and more towards a Mac than before.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The memory is easy to install.

Also take a look at OWC for memory, the other good memory vendor for Apple. I got a 1gb Samsung for my pB 12" rev B for $359. People around here say that the Samsung is the same module that Apple uses.

7. Artimus thread starter macrumors newbie

WOW! OWC is extremely cheaper! It's half the price! AWESOME! Now I can also afford airport extreme :D :D :D

8. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Installing RAM is very easy. I installed an extra 512MB stick into my 12" PB with no problems. Your manual will also include a guide on how to install extra RAM. Just make sure you have a very, very small screwdriver.... ;)

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY