Should I get imac G5 or powermac G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Winstonp, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2005
    I am expecting 600 for this ibook I have lying around, and I am considering selling the mini.

That puts me at a little over 1200$

I also have an 18'' LCD NEC monitor.

My basic needs are word processing, iphoto, browsing, and some gaming.

However, I want more screen real-estate.

Should I:
    A: sell it all, save more money and buy a 20 inch iMac
    B. Sell the two computers, get a 17 inch imac, and run dual monitors with my current LCD
    C. Sell the two computers, buy a powermac, and upgrade down the road?

What do you think is wise?
  2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

Jan 20, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I would go for option a) great screen and able to handle basic gaming. Unless you what upgradability and a better gaming machine which then go for the powermac.

Comes down to what you pefer most.
  3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    $600 for the ibook and you think you're getting $600 for the mini?
    I would go for the 20" imac unless like the guy said above, do you want to be able to upgrade? then get the powermac.
  4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    20 inch iMac all the way! Have a look on this forum for some of the reasons why you can't taint an iMac by using an external monitor. Hideous! :eek:
  5. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

Nov 10, 2004
    Land flowing with Milk and Honey
    Buy the iMAC it will do everything you want except play games well.

The powermac doesnt play games that well either so the money you save can be used to buy a cheap PC to play games on.
  6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    If you are talking abou a new Single Processor PowerMac -- they are the same maching (use the same iMac chipset/architecture.)

Except the SP PowerMac G5 gives you some upgrade options you will never have with the iMac G5. But the biggest one is 4 DIMM slots and an AGP card.

Memory is really important on G5s, and the GPU is probably on of the most requested upgrades on the iMac (which can't be done) -- but will prolong the life of the PowerMac far longer than the iMac.

The way things are going with Tiger, Core Image and similar technologies will all make the GPU something to look long and hard at...
  7. jscheiman macrumors member

Mar 21, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I would choose option A, for the uses you described, it seems to be a perfect fit. You'll get more monitor real estate as well as have everything all in the same encloseure.
  8. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    Choose option "A" and get a console for most of your games. 20" iMac is a nice machine and you'll be glad you went with it. :p