Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I am thinking of buying the 9.7" Pro in the next few days. However, I am still unsure as there are conflicting reports of a new iPad being released this year (in September or October) or in 2017. If Apple releases a new one this year, then I may wait, but I think 2016 would be too early for Apple to release a new model since the last one was unveiled in March. What do you think?

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I personally would wait until next month to see if there's any news about when it may or may not come out. Unless of course you really need one right now I think the 9.7 is a very good iPad

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
I am thinking of buying the 9.7" Pro in the next few days. However, I am still unsure as there are conflicting reports of a new iPad being released this year (in September or October) or in 2017. If Apple releases a new one this year, then I may wait, but I think 2016 would be too early for Apple to release a new model since the last one was unveiled in March. What do you think?

A new 9.7" iPad Pro is very unlikely this year. If you can wait till 2017, do it. Otherwise, the current one is really fine.

Leo90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Switzerland

If you really can wait like you said, it just means you don't need it. But like other people already said, the current iPad Pro 9.7 is a powerhouse! Boa sorte com a tua compra ;)

bounou

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012

If you are a student and can get a free pair of beats and save 20$ i would order now, other then that i think there is chance for new iPad's in October so i would wait.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Why do you think there may be a new iPad in October? In the past years, iPads were released in October, but a new one came out in March. That would mean a 7-month difference only between the two iPads. That happened with the iPad 3, which was discontinued only after 7 months of release, but it was very slow indeed and sales of iPad were booming at the time.

Reactions: ZombiePete

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The 9.7 was released in March 2016, so this won't be updated until 2017. I highly doubt the 12.9 iPad Pro will be refreshed for the remainder of the year, being its one year anniversary is in November.

Lastly, Apple's time line with product has changed a lot Over the years, I would not rely on any time tables.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
The 9.7 was released in March 2016, so this won't be updated until 2017. I highly doubt the 12.9 iPad Pro will be refreshed for the remainder of the year, being its one year anniversary is in November.

Lastly, Apple's time line with product has changed a lot Over the years, I would not rely on any time tables.
This is what I was thinking. As sales of iPads are slowing down, I think the tendency for Apple is to increase the time between the updates (as the upgrade cicle of the iPads seems to be similar to the ones for Macs, not iPhones). Or am I wrong?

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
If you really can wait like you said, it just means you don't need it. But like other people already said, the current iPad Pro 9.7 is a powerhouse! Boa sorte com a tua compra ;)
Yes, it is. And I simply don't know how Apple could offer much improvement right now. But who knows...

Leo90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Switzerland
Yes, it is. And I simply don't know how Apple could offer much improvement right now. But who knows...

from the top of my head, more ram (to match its giant brother of 12.9) and presence of 3D touch would be really nice additions to a possible new Pro 9.7. However, I dont think that is going to happen anytime soon. If I were you, I would get the current 9.7 Pro.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
The usual, browsing, streaming, etc...will use it for music production too
My use would be to browse the internet, read and annotate PDFs, reading and answering emails, and using Office apps (mainly Word and PowerPoint). And also occasional gaming, but this is far from being the purpose of it.

gregrose

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
My use would be to browse the internet, read and annotate PDFs, reading and answering emails, and using Office apps (mainly Word and PowerPoint). And also occasional gaming, but this is far from being the purpose of it.
I think an air 2 would be just fime

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
It is doubtful there will be a new model, but we are so close so why not wait just a little bit longer?

If you can just wait a couple of weeks, Apple's next event is predicted to be in the second week of September.

Heck, you don't even have to wait until the event itself. Wait until the event is announced, and you can buy it at an Apple Store at most 14 days before the event. If something at the event changes your mind, you are within the 15 day return period.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
It is doubtful there will be a new model, but we are so close so why not wait just a little bit longer?

If you can just wait a couple of weeks, Apple's next event is predicted to be in the second week of September.

Heck, you don't even have to wait until the event itself. Wait until the event is announced, and you can buy it at an Apple Store at most 14 days before the event. If something at the event changes your mind, you are within the 15 day return period.

Thanks. In fact, I cannot do that. I am not in the US. So, once I buy it, I won't be able to change for a newer model.

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
Thanks. In fact, I cannot do that. I am not in the US. So, once I buy it, I won't be able to change for a newer model.

Actually doesn't matter where you live you can always return hey Apple product within 14 days and get the new model it's something Apple has done for a very very long time

PS where exactly do you live

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Actually doesn't matter where you live you can always return hey Apple product within 14 days and get the new model it's something Apple has done for a very very long time

PS where exactly do you live
I live in Brazil. What I am thinking is buying the iPad abroad (not to incur in Brazilian very high prices) and to bring it here. But then I don't know if Apple would accept a return here in Brazil, especially of a product bought outside of the country.
[doublepost=1472099729][/doublepost]

For what I've read so far, it seems that the release of a new 9.7-inch iPad (i) in September is very unlikely, given that Apple should host an iPhone-only event and there would also be only 6 months since the last update; (ii) October is unlikely, given that the last update would have been 7 months earlier and that the A10X processor would probably not be ready to debut in large scale (and the A9X is still good enough); (iii) March is more likely given that there would have been 1 year since the last update.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
Even if Apple DOES update the iPads in October, they probably won't be significant.

I get what you're saying - and if there was a chance that there would be new, significant changes, I wouldn't have bought my 9.7" Pro just under a week ago!

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Even if Apple DOES update the iPads in October, they probably won't be significant.

I get what you're saying - and if there was a chance that there would be new, significant changes, I wouldn't have bought my 9.7" Pro just under a week ago!
Any new updates will likely bring new exclusive features to the iPad Pro lines like.

Side by Side video and Layered Multitasking maybe Bluetooth Mouse support and more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.