Should I get M-Audio Fast Track Studio??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by wwooden, Feb 16, 2005.

1. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    Hey everyone. i am looking at buying the Fast Track Studio soon. I already have a midi keyboard that I plug in via USB, but I would like to do some vocals and a friend of mine wants to record some guitar. I don't need more then one mic and he's not the singing type, so I think the one in for each will be fine. Do you guys think this is a good deal? Is it possible with this to record both guitar and mic at the same time? I get the impression that it can't.
    I don't plan on doing anything fancy ( If I do, I can just go to my dads studio where we had ProTools and a Digi002 and a Command 8). This is just for us to play around with and get some experience or recording our own stuff. I will be connecting it to Garageband but I don't see any problems with that. I love the M-Audio stuff and my dad swears by it. Just wanted to get peoples opinion on this equipment before I buy it.
  2. intrepkid21 macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2004
    Long Island, New York
    isn't that the same thing apple endorses on their website? I have a Tascam US-122 and it's great...but I will be going for a firewire controller soon with at least 4 inputs.
  3. James L macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2004
    I can't speak as to the quality of the microphone bundled with it, but I bought a Fast Track at Mac World from OWC last month ($89) and it is a GREAT little box.

The GT Player Express software is a lot of fun to play around with too.

If you have any questions please let me know.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    I got this for my sister for Christmas this past year, as she is a budding musician. Unfortunately, you can't record both vocals and a musical tracks at the same time. This, however, is a limitation of the original Garageband, and, as far as I know, is fixed with Garageband 2. So, it might also be worth it to invest in iLife'05. I know she plans on upgrading soon.

As far as the Fast Track though, I totally recommend it. Before, she was using the mic that's built in to her iBook to record both vocals and her guitar. Now, through FastTrack, the sound is SO much better. It's a high-quality (relatively) for not a lot of money. Go for it!