Should I get Mac Mini, NOW?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gabefung, Jun 12, 2005.

1. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Depends on what your friend needs the Mac for. Don't worry too much about the future. Live day-to-day and work out whether the mini will suffice for the moment. Will it cover all of your friend's needs now? If so, grab one. :)

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Considering that all binaries will be compiled for x86 and PowerPC in the future, you shouldn't have a problem if you get a Mac Mini now.

3. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

You should not let the future intel chips influence what you buy now. Any mac, PPC or Intel, will run fine. Don't worry about it.

4. gabefung thread starter macrumors newbie

5. cwerdna macrumors 6502

<sigh>Here we go again... At some point, software companies will probably stop providing any sort of updates for PowerPC versions of their app just like they have for OS9 and 68K Macs.

That said, the Mini is a pretty low risk investment with respect to the Intel announcement. You have a lot less money to lose than say w/a very high end PM G5.

I'm planning on getting a Mini myself.

6. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Yeah, in about 10 years. Hence the don't worry about it.

7. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Waiting ALWAYS helps with computers: they only get better and cheaper!

But you give up the use of the computer in the meantime. So the buyer has to make a judgment: how much do I want/need it now?

At some point you have to go for it, because there will ALWAYS be a better model on the way.

That said, there are probably TWO revisions to watch for:

1. A revised/faster PowerPC Mac Mini coming this summer (educated guesswork). Maybe soon. Maybe August. Hard to say--but I suggest waiting a little longer to see what news may come. It's very likely that the current model is not the last one before the Intel change.

2. A very nice Intel Mac Mini will arrive next year. Soonest: January. Latest: June. Maybe too long to be worth waiting for?

The main reason to wait isn't that the PowerPC will be obsolete. It won't for a LONG time. But rather, simply the fact that computers get faster and faster--and the Intel jump may be a speed boost in particular.

8. Tahko macrumors regular