should i get my first mac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by t1rider321, May 8, 2005.

1. t1rider321 macrumors regular

i need a new computer bad and ive wanted to get a iMac for the last couple of months and now the new imac is out and it blew me away... does this sound good for a daily comptuer?

iMac G5 17" 2.0GHz SuperDrive
    Part Number: Z0BZ
    Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English
    56Kbps Modem
    160GB Serial ATA drive
    SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
    512MB DDR400 SDRAM - 1 DIMM

Cart Subtotal: $1,559.00

2. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

They're wonderful machines and the price is excellent. You haven't said what you want to use it for but it'll do everyday tasks very nicely for a good number of years, and will do photo and video editing quite happily.
    Buy one now.

3. t1rider321 thread starter macrumors regular

well i used to run a website but i cant edit it anymore because my computer i have now freezes whenever i run programs... but il be using fireworks, dreamweaver, i might add on final cut pro because il be editing more videos becuase i wont be on windows anymore. and i use itunes photoshop limewire and some other stuff

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Go for it. You'll not regret it. The only drawback, repurchasing most of your licenses.

5. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Don't some companies allow to change your license from PC to Mac? I thought Adobe did this - you send back your PC copy and they send you a Mac version. Is this correct? Do any other companies do it?

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Adobe will let you switch licenses from PC to Mac (and vice versa). Macromedia won't let you do the same. They ship both versions of Studio MX 2004 in the same box, but after you install it and activate it on Windows, you can't later switch and install the Mac version.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I'd say go ahead and buy the iMac. They're great machines, especially now that they've recently been updated. I think you'll love the switch from Windows to Mac (I did last fall).

7. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Buy the Mac, you won't go wrong with a purchase like that. And that is a top of the line Mac you'd be purchasing. One thing that I'd do, is if I didn't need the huge amount of hard drive space, or I could wait to buy an external later on, I'd purchase more RAM (not through Apple though, through someone like Kingston or Crucial (they have good prices)). You can never go wrong with too much RAM.

If/when you purchase it, congrats. You'll have a comp. that'll last you for years.

8. nw43 macrumors regular

Hi there,

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread but I am also very tempted by the new imac spec (actually I was considering the exact same one, which is £1000 here) and this would also be my first mac. Probably be using it mostly for general day to day stuff: browsing, email, word processing, music etc.

Couple of questions:

I'd probably be using this alongside my Windows PC for a while - how easy am I likely to find it if I need to swap files between the two (I'm planning on just adding it to my wireless network (is this easy?) ?

Has anyone used OpenOffice for Mac much, coz I'd like to use this as an alternative to MS Office if possible?

[EDIT] Forgot to ask - would you recommend getting 3 year applecare or whatever its called?

Also, is the 512 Mb of RAM likely to be enough or is it worth upgrading, or could I leave this to a later date?

Thanks

9. t1rider321 thread starter macrumors regular

sounds like im getting a imac too i might add on a ipod with my order ahha

10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Adobe just bought macromedia. It might be different now! Call to see if it has changed.

11. sourcemonkey macrumors regular

You should have no problems at all with anything. connecting wirelessly, finding a good alternative to windows office whatever... (i use appleworks for word processing. it gets a bad rap and is limited (some characters not supported) but for run of the mill uses like basic university assignments its perfect)

Maybe in the case of this machine it is worth getting three years (when you eventually wan't to upgrade you can just bolt it onto a bedroom wall as a hi-fi/dvd player-whatever).
    (i think its discounted if you buy with the hardware?). not sure.

buying RAM is strongly advised. buy it.

this is the time to buy this hardware. i'm sorely tempted myself. if this is your first mac I'm sure you'll be very happy. i also recommend an airport express (even for airtunes alone).

12. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

To connect to a Windows share you just go to Connect and type in either the IP address or type in SMB://computername/share

You should have no problems, but if you do just post them or contact me, and I can help you out.

13. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Yes go for it.......but a gig of RAM would not hurt ;)

14. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

For the office app, try Neo Office

15. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

I say, to both: Go for it!!!

The only thing, is don't make the mistake of running Windows and a Mac side by side. If you're going to make the switch, just do it. Otherwise, you'll find yourself going back time and time again to Windows becasue it's easier than having to find the program you want for mac etc.

Its what I did, and then I threw my windows computer away and me & My Mac became much better friends after I did. Honestly, just transfer your files over, and be prepared for a couple of days of mild disruption. You'll be fine.

And honestly, two days of disruption for the next 50 odd years of a blissful computing experience. Who knows how much Apple will have changed in 50 years eh? *thinks....Mac OS XXXIV ..."New, Floating sub menu technology!"*

16. nw43 macrumors regular

Well, thanks for all your replies.

Happy to say, I've just placed my order!!! :) iMac G5 17" 2.0 GHz, £999.99 (much more expensive I know than in US)

I decided against extra RAM in the end as from I have read it seems cheaper to do this later and source it somewhere else.

Can't wait for it to arrive and get started with it now!!!

17. t1rider321 thread starter macrumors regular

im going to the mac store tomrrow and getting my new imac g5 haha hopefully there in stock

18. 40167 macrumors regular

Hummmm... Your posting a message asking "should i get my first mac?" on a macintosh user message board.

Did you honestly expect anyone here to tell you NOT to get the mac?

19. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

(If)/When you get it, Congrats on your purchase. It'll be the best one you make.

20. MontyZ macrumors 6502a

Definitely get the 3 year AppleCare coverage. You'll be sorry you didn't 12 months and 5 days later if something should stop working.

You'll have no problem communicating with your PC for transferring files and such.

I'm not so keen on the whole wireless network craze right now. It's not as fast as ethernet, and I had some problems with dropped connections. Eventually, I sent the Airport back and just used good ole cables and a hub. Much faster, reliable and very secure. But, if it's just for you, wireless might be just fine, and it's fast enough for Internet, but, not as good for networking several computers.