Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
Okay, I got my MBP a couple of weeks ago and I love it. There are a bunch of problems with it however:

a) There's the infamous buzzing, however, it is very random. Sometimes it'll never stop, but other times it barely ever comes up. It always comes after coming from sleep though.
b) I have the display buzz too, and it's random in the same way. If it's on 16/16 bars, it sounds kind of like bugs hissing. At 1/16 to 15/16 bars, it sounds like a higher-pitched, mechanical kind of hissing.
c) My fans are VERY loud (in comparison). Most MBP users say you can't hear the fans unless you put your ears to the keyboard, but I hear them ALL THE TIME. Imagine someone whispering loudly to you. That's how loud they are. The fans are always running too.
d) I have another one of the major problems, which is a very bright band running across the bottom of the screen, where the dock is. It's brighter than the rest of the screen and pretty noticable.
e) My RAM slot cover is slightly dented. It came like that. The corner of the RAM slot is slightly depressed, not flush with the machine as it should be, by about a 1/8" (0.32 cm).
f) I always lose Bluetooth and Wifi connections if I put my computer to sleep. Always. I don't know if this is a Mac OS X thing, as this is my first real* Mac, so... yeah.
g) I don't know if this is the same way with all super-slim MBP SuperDrives, but when I put in a disc it makes a snatching sound that's kind of creepy. On my brother's 1.2 GHz iBook (ComboDrive, not Super), it makes a sound like that, but it seems more "normal" and is a lot quieter.

I don't know if I'm nitpicking here, but some of these things don't seem like normal problems. Do you guys think I can get it replaced? Should I just take it to the Apple Store and complain?

Also, if somebody can tell me how to record using the microphone, I'll record the snatching sound on the SuperDrive.

*I bought a used Sawtooth off of eBay that died after two weeks. Yeah, smart.

Max on Macs

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
Milton Keynes, UK
The superdrive noise is normal. mine does it too, but all my frienda and my girlfriend have just started getting MBPs too and they all do the same thing.

The buzzing sounds is present on all MBPs it seems, even the MBPs of people who don't think they have the issue (I've had mine a week and a half and only realised today). If the bottom of my screen was brighter than the rest though, I'd take it back immediately.

As for the wireless being dropped when your computer goes to sleep, that was a problem on PCs too with the same Intel hardware and Intel released a patch. I'm just hoping they release a patch (or Apple release a patch) for the mac ones too!

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
**** happens, even to Macs. Take it in to a local Apple store if you have one nearby. (Always make an appointment online before going to a retail store: http://www.apple.com/retail - click on "concierge")

They will probably ship it out to a repair depot, so back up all your stuff, and be prepared to live without it for a few days.

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
Thank you both for your quick responses!

The thing about the buzzing that bugs me (which is why I put it there at all) is that the buzzing is entirely random and seems to have no dependence on processor usage. If it starts buzzing, I can't do anything to stop it. Opening Comic Life, the Mirror widget, or anything else won't change it. Eventually, it leaves on its own.

About the fans, I asked my dad to look at it and he claimed he could barely hear it. He also couldn't hear the display buzz or the processor buzz. He has pretty bad hearing though.

Thanks about the SuperDrive. I don't mind it at all, I kinda got used to it after popping in a couple disks, but I was just wondering if there was something wrong with it.

I really hope they'd replace it rather than just repair it, considering all the problems that I have with it. Are you sure they'd just repair it?

Also, I'm a bit worried about the dent. It is a dent and it's not just sitting improperly or anything, it's a dent that goes in about 1/8" (0.32 cm). I don't know if I should even mention it to the Geniuses, because they might just say "Oh, you made that dent. AppleCare has been voided, we can't fix this." I don't want this to happen, so should I mention it or not?

Thank you all so much :)

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
I'm bumping this because it fell off the first page and I still need answers to my questions. (See post above.)

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
thegreatluke said:
The thing about the buzzing that bugs me (which is why I put it there at all) is that the buzzing is entirely random and seems to have no dependence on processor usage. If it starts buzzing, I can't do anything to stop it. Opening Comic Life, the Mirror widget, or anything else won't change it. Eventually, it leaves on its own.

I really hope they'd replace it rather than just repair it, considering all the problems that I have with it. Are you sure they'd just repair it?

Also, I'm a bit worried about the dent. It is a dent and it's not just sitting improperly or anything, it's a dent that goes in about 1/8" (0.32 cm). I don't know if I should even mention it to the Geniuses, because they might just say "Oh, you made that dent. AppleCare has been voided, we can't fix this." I don't want this to happen, so should I mention it or not?

Thank you all so much :)
The buzzing, well, maybe Apple comes out with some firmware fix and see if that works... or recalls it. They'd repair; not replace. :(

The dent -- DEFINITELY DO NOT bring it up!! AT ALL. You don't want risk your AppleCare.

cherry38

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2006
I had a bunch of problems with my 1st mbp and I brought it to the apple store...they swapped it out without any hassle. I was within the return period, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it (return/rebuy?). Make a big enough case that it's a lemon and you might have some luck...I'd definitely try going to the store.

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
lilstewart92 said:
The buzzing, well, maybe Apple comes out with some firmware fix and see if that works... or recalls it. They'd repair; not replace. :(

The dent -- DEFINITELY DO NOT bring it up!! AT ALL. You don't want risk your AppleCare.
Ok, well thank you. Maybe I'll get my lawyer dad to make a fuss :p

Lilstewart - Should I bring it up even if my MBP came WITH the dent? I hope one of those Mac parts stores online has one of those eventually. The dent looks like it doesn't affect anything, but I'd like to add more RAM eventually, so I guess I shouldn't bring it up?

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
For section f, does it come back after a minute automatically or do you have to reselect the network, etc. It may be an option in system preferences for the second one. The first one, i noticed when upgrading, you have to wait about 30 seconds before it reconnects automatically.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
I'd get it replaced. Be it an Apple computer or a $2K television set, putting up with defects and sub-performance (based on what you expected) just makes for a lousy buying experience and remorse. You ought to get what you paid for, fully working, without defects. You shouldn't have to accept anything less.

Sadly, since you waited so long, your options are probably limited.

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
Thank you.

I couldn't really take it in too soon, because
a) The screen buzzing/screen band/RAM slot dent problems weren't noticed/didn't appear until a couple of days ago,
b) If it were to be replaced I'd have to wait for a new one and now they have MBP's in stock, and
c) If they were to fix it, I wouldn't want my MBP to be the first MBP they worked on. :eek:

tip

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
My MBP has none of the sound (or display) problems you've described.

Now, the wireless issues seem to be common, and mine has problems with my WPA access point (but sees my neighbors open and WEP AP's).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.