should I get one now?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by summero, Mar 13, 2007.

1. summero macrumors regular

summero

should i get an ipod video now? or should i wait and see if apple makes a newer version? i really want one now! ahhhhh! help please!

2. mashinhead macrumors 68020

WAIT. They will surely have one out before the end of the year, and if you get one now, when they do have one you'll really wish you had waited. The ipods now are horrible for video, they're really just music players and if you want one really bad just get a nano or something. You'll be glad you waited

3. sparkyms macrumors 65816

4. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

I also like the video on my ipod, but if you can wait I would.

5. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Just get a refurbished one that is the previous 5 gen ipod video for 179 that way you aren't out too much. Then when a new one comes out, just sell it off. I don't think they are going to come out with a new one until after september. They will most likely have the buy a mac get a free ipod student offer before then. I'd say if you really want one just get the refurbished one.

6. Melkor macrumors 6502

Buy now. I always find with apple products that waiting is futile, 'cause they constantly bring out newer versions.

7. summero thread starter macrumors regular

summero

thanks for the input guys! i'm thinking about getting a refurbished one... can anyone tell me a little more about their experience with a refurbished ipod video? thanks!

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Do people really say this stuff still? The end of the year is in 10 months! And no matter how long you wait you're device will be outdated soon enough.

Get one now, there is nothing new coming out as far as iPods other than the Phone. Get one NOW NOW NOW!!!!

9. mashinhead macrumors 68020

yea they do, and it's different in this case because it's not a small jump but a huge leap. wait.

10. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

My guess is Apple makes the same form factor Ipod they simply take out the Hard Drive and stick in Flash Memory, making it a bit thinner.

11. JDN macrumors 6502a

From what was said on the Flash memory in Laptops and iPods discussion piece Apple might be scrapping a 6G revision and waiting for large enough flash drives to update the big iPods. This means we might not see a revision until 2008 possibly.

I REALLY want an iPod, but for now i am managing to wait, and am prepared for it to be a long while yet.

12. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Dude if you really want one then go get one. What's the point in waiting nearly a year for a new iPod? By then you can get one of those too.

13. The General macrumors 601

Hopefully the new iPod will be the same shape and size, but get rid of the touch wheel and replace it with a virtual touch wheel on a touch screen. A wide touch screen. One that fills the whole front of the iPod.

:drool:

14. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

do you ever get the feeling that apple reps are writing here?:confused:

15. nutmac macrumors 68030

I have the current iPod and I watch video during daily commute. While it plays the video fine, I do wish it has few more video features.
    1. Although video playback is smooth, the UI does not respond quickly during playback (e.g., changing brightness, pause, skipping)
    2. Some video equalization settings, such as more contrast and different color hues, would be useful.
    3. Larger LCD (I will be getting iPhone to solve this problem).
    4. Dialog normalization.
    5. iTunes 7.1-style (blue dot) indicator for unwatched video.
    6. Minor UI refinements during playback -- lower the playback position/volume bar (it often blocks the subtitle), show video title on the top

16. copperhead macrumors member

it's not worth it to wait...

buy one now, use it for a year until the new one comes out, then sell it. you might lose $100, but to me $100 is well worth it for a year of ipod use. dont think of it as throwing $250 down the drain, think of it as putting ur money into a different form then being able to sell it later and get some back. if you start waiting now, you'll be waiting forever.