Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cheese

macrumors 6502
Original poster
There it is. My iMac G5 Rev. A is almost ready for it's first birthday (the day I started using it...). I am seeking advice as to whether or not I should get Applecare at $169.00 since I think I read that Apple is extending the Rev. A warranty due to some potentially faulty capacitors. Should I take my chances, or is Applecare t he way to go...
Thanx

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Cheese said:
There it is. My iMac G5 Rev. A is almost ready for it's first birthday (the day I started using it...). I am seeking advice as to whether or not I should get Applecare at $169.00 since I think I read that Apple is extending the Rev. A warranty due to some potentially faulty capacitors. Should I take my chances, or is Applecare t he way to go...
Thanx

I'd say get the Applecare. However, if you're in the U.S. you might look for it cheaper somewhere else. Unless it expires before you'd think you'd receive it, if ordering someone else.

Smalldog.com has it for $149.

I recommend it because you never know what may happen. If you'd be comfortable buying an entirely new machine, if something went wrong, then I guess you wouldn't need it. However, if you'd prefer $150 to positively keep it running 2 more years, then that is the way to go.

lasuther

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2004
Grand Haven, Michigan
My understanding is that Apple provides 1 year warranty. Applecare extends it, so you have until your 1 year warranty is up. I recommend waiting until it is up and then buying it if you feel you need it.

lasuther

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
My wife's warranty is about up as well. So far in its first year of life her rev A iMac G5 has seen two hard drives die and a logic board replacement (due to the "bad capacitor" issue). I am definately ordering one in the next two weeks before the 1yr warranty period is up.

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
It would be foolish not to get Applecare at all, especially priced at only $169.99.
Have you taken a look at how much retailers charge you to "diagnose" your computer? Try CompUSA. $150.00 flat fee + parts + labor.
What about Apple directly?
You surely hope your machine doesn't break, but you'll be glad you had Applecare if it ever does.
It's like car insurance, medical & home insurance. You hate paying for it but you're glad if you ever have to use it.
I bought Applecare with my iMac, so I'd recommend getting it.

PharmD

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2005
Oregon Coast
If a PPC iMac dies in a year or two, and Apple had to replace it completely, would they give you an Intel one? Do they keep spares around?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
lasuther said:
My understanding is that Apple provides 1 year warranty. Applecare extends it, so you have until your 1 year warranty is up. I recommend waiting until it is up and then buying it if you feel you need it.

lasuther

If your 1 year warranty expires, you can not buy AppleCare. Check with Apple as to your computer's warranty start date, it is rarely the date you first used it due to shipping times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.