Should I get the G4 PB 17"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iQuit, May 15, 2005.

  1. iQuit macrumors 6502a

    iQuit

    Joined:
    May 13, 2005
    #1
    First of all I would greatly appreciate if noone flames me...

    I have been needing something more powerful than my iBook because it just can't cut it. I have been thinking about getting the 1.67 GHz G4,but there has been a lot of speculation that at the WWDC or in the later half of this year a G5 will come out. I just don't want to waste $3000 and then a few months later a G5 comes out,or even dual G5's. What are the chances that a new PB will come anytime within the next year?And what are your suggestions? Also I know that the G4's just got an upgrade in the processors so No G5's may come soon,also there has been no factual evidence of a G5 even going to be announced. Thanks for the help.
     
  2. Lurch_Mojoff macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2005
    Location:
    Closer that you might expect!
    #2
    Well, if it is not something urgent, probably it's worth waiting a couple of weeks till WWDC. The word is there will be an "update" to the PB line in June. It most certainly won't be G5, though. However, there are other possibilities for better, faster and more energy efficient PBs (like Freescale's e600). Alas, nothing is certain. :confused:

    I'd suggest if it is uregent buy now, if not - wait another 3 weeks. If nothing comes out on 6 June go and buy yourself a great 17" PB and have fun!

    just my 2c
     
  3. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

    TheMasin9

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2004
    Location:
    Huber Heights, OH
    #3
    its funny how many of these kinda threads come out, "shoud i buy now or wait till updates??!!" if everyone keeps waiting for updates, apple is never going to sell anything. Apple's computers have superior longevity, and that new 1.67 ghz powabook is no slouch. That computer will be kickin for years to come and will still blow the socks off of many higher priced pc laptops. My cousin has had a 867 tibook for a few years now and he still can crank out some awesome stuff on it. So my 2c is, get it now, and be happy with it.
     
  4. sbb155 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2005
    #4
    In answer to your question about 17inch PB
    No, don't buy.
    Get a 12inch iBook for the road, and a 17"imac for home.
    You will be happier.
     

Share This Page