Should I get the PowerBook now or later?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by HasanDaddy, Nov 6, 2002.

  1. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #1
    Hey dudes

    I NEED MAJOR HELP

    I'm a student/filmmaker......I currently own a 500 mhz PB and a DVD burning tower

    I got the Tower primarily for DVD burning, but I do EVERYTHING on my PB.....iPhoto, FCP, iCal, etc etc etc

    I'm a filmmaker thats always on the run, and I really want a PB that I can connect into a Digital Apple display (like the Cinema Display) and mobile DVD burning

    Would now be a good time to put my 500 PB on the Ebay market, and grab a DVD burning new one??? Or, should I wait for better ones to come out (like a G5 book?).....like I said, I do everything on my PB, so I really want the best....now that I can burn DVD's, I really won't need a tower anymore (which is what I've always wanted)....

    Anyhoo....what do you guys think? Wait....or buy now???

    THANKS A TON
     
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #2
    Buying after a speed bump is always a good idea.

    If you buy something new right now, you won't have to worry about a new machine coming out 2 days after yours is delivered.

    ---

    As far a going completely portable, it's up to you and your work habits as to whether it would be a good/bad idea.
     
  3. cb911 macrumors 601

    cb911

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2002
    Location:
    BrisVegas, Australia
    #3
    i agree. buy now and you'll be happy with your top-of-the-line TiBook for a long time. :D

    if you wait you might start thinking that the G5 is just around the corner... and then put off your purchase and wait for the G5.

    you should get it now. i got my rev. C TiBook just after they were released, and it was the best way to do it.
     
  4. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2002
    #4
    I say sell both your PB and your tower and get the top of the line ghz PB. That will get you the new powerbook with the least out of your pocket.

    You probably could have made more $$ for the PB if you sold it before the new ones came out, but its too late now, I say its always best to buy as soon as the new ones come out, then the next batch is farther off, and you have the best and fastest for the longest amount of time.
     
  5. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

    buffsldr

    Joined:
    May 7, 2001
    #5
    i would stay where you are. it is cool to have superdrive in a pbook, but it is 1x. great if you are a road warrior, but for you, it sounds like you have the best of both worlds. i would stay put
     
  6. Mr Jobs macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2002
    Location:
    London, England
    #6
    err...u mean 6 months
     
  7. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

    macktheknife

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2002
    #7
    I agree with the other posts--buying right after a speed bump is always a good idea. You can't get anything better for at least 6 months, and you need not worry about the next refresh in a week.

    It all boils down to this: if you need a computer now, get it now. Waiting for the next best thing is like changing a wheel on a moving car: you can't possibly keep up. We don't know when the G5 will actually be introduced, and it could be anywhere from 6 months to a year before the G5 will find its way to laptops after its initial release date.
     
  8. Kid Red macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2001
    #8
    I dunno, I'd wait a few years. In a few years, that update will rock!
     
  9. Somebody macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2002
    Location:
    NYC
    #9
    Hey, 6 months *is* a good long time to be happy with your computer.
     
  10. Stelliform macrumors 68000

    Stelliform

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2002
    #10
    Yeah I was unhappy with my Toshiba 6 WEEKS after I got it. .... Well.... It was a Toshiba. :)

    I go through Computers faster than I go through shoes. (Honest) How can we be certain that they will have G5 Powerbooks in six months. It might be 12 or 18 months for a G5 Powerbook. (Or will the G5 work in a Powerbook right out of the gates? I don't know too much about Apple Laptop updates. I am a new convert to Apple.) :D
     
  11. Beej macrumors 68020

    Beej

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2002
    Location:
    Buffy's bedroom
    #11
    Ha ha... probably true, but for someone who's thinking about an upgrade now, it could be a little late :D Just a thought ;):D

    I agree with most of the other suggestions - go for it now. Sell your two current Macs, buy the new PowerBook, and go make the next blockbuster :)
     
  12. HasanDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #12
    Thanks dudes!

    That helps!

    Next Blockbuster----HERE I COME!!!!
     

Share This Page