Should I get this iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iQuit, Sep 24, 2005.

1. iQuit macrumors 6502a

iQuit

I might want to get this iMac to add to my collection because it's cool and I've never owned one...The speed is fast enough and I don't know if it is a good price..

[​IMG]

iMac G4
    700mhz, 256mb 40gb
    CDRW/DVD
    $399

SHOULD I Buy it?

(EDIT) Can anyone tell me the specs, such as video card and FSB.thanks

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

specs

I love apple-history.com so much.. :)

Sounds like a pretty nice deal! I'd go for it.

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i'm not sure i'd go for it. it's a 15" model, correct? that's not much screen space, and not much of a video card. it also uses regular ol' sdram which is harder to find nowadays, and much more expensive. add to that its optical drive is rather slow, and its hard drive may be 5400rpm, i'm not sure i'd go for it--maybe a mac mini for only $100 more, especially if you have a monitor sitting around. however, if it's for your collection, or if you just like the design, go for it! by the way, i'm sure ive mentioned this before but i love your profile pic!

4. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

I actually don't know much about the specs, although this wikipedia article may help. My dad has this iMac and he loves it, it still works quickly and hasn't had any problems. If I could find one for that price, I'd definitely buy it as I think it's the best looking iMac that Apple has released.

5. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

Well I mean I have a lot of much faster computers, just I LOVE the design....and a discount electronics store here in town has a bunch of them for sell.

(edit) Mac Mini's have no screen,the graphics are the same,and I don't need it for my primary computer. Can I upgrade the combo drive to a super drive?

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

yes, i'm fairly sure you'll be able to upgrade to a superdrive. http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/iMac_g4/imacg4_takeapart.html
    oh, and if you're in san antonio (saw your location as texas) what computer store was it? that's a pretty good deal considering what most people would charge.

7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Yeah, sure.

crack it open, have the correct kind of drive, and go nuts.

or order the Mini already super'd from Apple. :)

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My friend just picked one up for $200 plus got tons of free software that only runs on 9. She has 9 and panther on it...it's not tiger friendly. It's a beauty and she loves it.
    I'd get it for $300 no more.

9. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

whered she get it for that low? I have seen it on ebay for 500+.

10. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

hey homer you're in San Antonio?! PM me...I'll tell you where if you're interested.

11. yenko macrumors 6502a

iMac Specs

Click the link above....hope it's the right one. You can always check Apple's Support pages for this kind of stuff. :)

As far as price goes, IMHO $350.00 Tops :rolleyes:

12. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

13. yenko macrumors 6502a

eBay :eek:

used computer store in your area, especially one that hates Macs! :D

Google it

Pissed off Mac owner..those are the best deals! :D

Use the forum here at MR :)

My brain just quit................ :eek:

14. iQuit thread starter macrumors 6502a

iQuit

That price ($399) is from like the lowest priced electronics store here, eBay has it for WAYYY more, and I haven't seen it posted here on MR....should I just buy it?

15. yenko macrumors 6502a

Actually, the price seems fair and is probably the current suggested retail price for that machine in that configuration. :)
    I would up the RAM a bit as soon as I could after playing with it for about a week.

Go ahead! :D

Is it from an on-line store?

Just checked eBay................damn..................you're right! :D

Reread your last post, so ignore the question above.

I would walk in there and offer them $350 cash and see what they say. What have you got to loose? :)

If they won't go for it, well you want it any way so.....get it! :D

16. ammon macrumors regular

I can't believe they go for that much now! I'm still not a big fan of the design, but to each their own...