Should I get this TV?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ieani, Nov 8, 2006.

1. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

3. sixstorm macrumors regular

It's not widescreen, scrap it. You will thank me later.

4. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I agree, even for $200. Once you go 16:9 widescreen, there is no going back to standard issue 4:3. I'm not sure on that brand name either. Westinghouse? I thought they only made refridgerators. :p
    Besides, you want to nearly get trampled and have to get up early to get that tv? I'd pass...even though it's cheap. I wouldn't expect it to be that good of a tv.

edit that is weird, as jdechko pointed out...the specs say 16:10 widescreen; I haven't heard of 16:10, but whatever. I'd maybe pick it up if you don't mind the crowds. $200...don't expect much, but it's better than nothing I guess. :D

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=57
    Looks widscreen to me on the Westinghouse site.

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

That's odd, because the specs call it out as a 16x10, 1440x900 Widescreen display. I think the pics are screwed up. With DVI, VGA, component, composite, s-video and RF it looks like it would make a nice all-in-one for someone who's tight on space. I'm not sure about the Westinghouse brand name, but it seems like it would fit your needs quite well.

6. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

Look at the resolution, 1440 x 900. That's really weird. I'm not sure how things would be displayed on that. That does come out to a 16 x 10 tv shape. I guess widescreen things would be cut off on the sides and 4:3 would be stretched but not as far as a 16:9 tv. It's not going to be able to display 1080i with that resolution. It would have to down-convert. But for $200 it's worth a shot.

Edit: just found this on Wikipedia.

It is used for widescreen computer monitors. It looks like it's just a computer monitor with a tv tuner.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It must be widescreen 1440x900 and HD ready.

In fact just look at the bleeding specs on the webpage linked people before confusing the poster

Product Features
    16:10 widescreen aspect ratio for a theater-style viewing experience :rolleyes:

edit.. I see zero2dash did :)

Your Xbox 360 will look great on it, most LCD TV's are actually 16:10 rather than 9. Dont worry about it, it will scale.

and for $200 it's a steal. £99 UK or €160 would not get you that TV.

8. happy.buddha macrumors member

happy.buddha

I've had a Westy monitor (17" widescreen) for over a year now and I liked it so much that I bought a Westy 32" widescreen LCD TV last month...very pleased indeed.

9. jdechko macrumors 68040

Yeah, most computer displays (including the ACD's and the ones on the MacBook/MBP) are 16:10. My monitors (2, mind you) here at work are 19", 16:10, 1440x900 displays and they work wonderfully. I have a ton of real-estate... enough for AutoCAD, pallets and project folders. :)

16:10 will display widescreen content just fine, esp 16:9. don't worry about stretching or scaling the picture.

10. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

You might consider this ViewSonic LCD TV, you can get it for slightly cheaper and it is bigger (and widescreen).

I own the 27" model and it is great. It also has every type of input you could want besides DVI/HDMI.

11. Jsmit macrumors regular

I have this TV.

The picture is fine. You can get better quality, but not that for that price.

The real draw back of this particular TV is it's speakers. They are horrible. It has a mini plug out for audio... expect to use this. With external speaker you can't beat this TV at the price.

I have no regrets with this TV.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd say go for something 20", maybe get a 2007FPW monitor? serves 2 good purposes then! monitor and gaming screen thing.

Meh. go for it? 19" 16:10 720p display is only good. $399! is that as cheap as it sounds to me, in sterling that's an incredible price. Mate of mine bought a 20" 720p TV for £500 just a year ago.

13. jdechko macrumors 68040

To the OP, if what you say is true and BestBuy has them in stock for $200 on Black Friday, do what you can to get one (and maybe one fore me too. :p )

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Its $399 now, but the poster thinks it will be $200 on special on friday. That price ($200) would be an amazing buy.

15. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

nice tv , i would go for it if u really think you need it ;)

16. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

ieani

I attached the ad. Then heres a text listing:http://bfads.net/store/bestbuy

Attached Files:

17. jdechko macrumors 68040

Hey, is that an Upconverting DVD player by LG for $70? Do you think you could post the model number?

18. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

yeah someone e-mailed me that ad scan ealier today..lots of goodies in there!

19. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

ieani

20. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

ieani

21. jdechko macrumors 68040

22. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

yeah thats the only bad part...good luck actually getting one

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ruddy nora! I'd get one. go for it, OP.

24. Oblivious macrumors 6502

Wow!

Thanks for bringing this up. I've been looking for a good monitor/TV to use in my room for a while, this would be perfect... and at a fantastic price. I wonder how beautiful Twilight Princess will look?

I guess the only trouble now will be getting my hands on one come Black Friday.:rolleyes:

25. ieani thread starter macrumors 6502a

ieani

Well if I have the opportunity Ill definitely try and pick one up. Yet, Im still not sure I want to spend the money. I dont think getting one will be a huge problem but ive only been in a store once on black friday and it was a home depot. No way will I waste a nights sleep on a TV though. Ill get there at opening, no earlier.