Should I give up and just order the PM???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by vtprinz, Feb 7, 2005.

  1. vtprinz macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2004
    #1
    Ok, I've only got 3 more weeks that I can wait before I have to order a new computer. What I'm looking at is this:

    Dual 1.8GHz PM
    1.25GB RAM (stock 256 + 3rd party 2x512)
    Stock 80GB hard drive as OS/Apps disk
    3rd Party 120GB or 160GB HD for everything else
    ATI Radeon 9600XT
    Bluetooth Module + wireless keyboard/mouse
    19" flat screen CRT

    Total ~ $2350 with edu discount

    What could I reasonably expect at the low end after the eventual update? Bump to 2.0GHz, probably 512MB stock RAM, maybe the 9600XT becomes stock. POSSIBLY PCI-X, but I really don't think I need PCI-X. Anything else? (Tiger not included, I'm going to have to buy that for my laptop anyway)

    So basically I'd most likely gain a 200MHz processor bump and 256MB more ram (making it 1.5GB over 1.25GB after the 3rd party RAM) Is this really worth the wait?

    I don't NEED the computer right now, but I know I'm definitely missing out on the enjoyment of it by waiting until the bitter end. But I've been hearing everything from "updates in the next couple weeks" to "upgrades in april/may/june" and I really don't want to order the computer 2 weeks before it gets updated. I'd kick myself if right after I get my computer, I find that I could have gotten a better computer for cheaper if I'd just waited a bit longer.

    This computer needs to last me a LONG time too. I do a lot of photoshop work, and a decent amount of logic work (nothing professional). I'll also be in grad school soon doing biological research, and I'd like to have a fast computer to process data (and not be stuck with stripped down PCs in the lab)

    What do you think? Is it worth the wait? I might be able to pull off waiting a bit longer than 3 weeks if it will be worth it.
     
  2. jxyama macrumors 68040

    jxyama

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2003
    #2
    even if an update comes out, it probably won't ship immediately, given apple's track record.

    so i'd order now if you need one in three weeks.
     
  3. vtprinz thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2004
    #3
    I don't need the computer in 3 weeks, just need to get rid of the money in 3 weeks.

    Besides, I'm only going to be buying the low end model, should I really expect a big delay on that? Aren't the delay's usually on the higher end models?
     
  4. zimtheinvader macrumors regular

    zimtheinvader

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2005
    Location:
    the capitol
    #4
    Hey, I'm in sort of the same position, only I was toying with upgrading to a PB or iB now and waiting for the desktop for Tiger which is the absolute latest that it would be (apparently) until an update. Still though, at about 4-5x the power I would rather just get a PM now and forget portability, but will the update be soon?? 4-5mo is a loooong time, esp for a little speed bump if nothing else... won't gpus also be update this time though?... how long will the buyers guide stay on "don't buy, update soon" ?!

    [wow I just checked and the PM I was looking at would be like the exact same as the one listed here... the 2.0 dual is a fair boost above the 1.8 dual, though, which would likely shift down, hence the waiting for me, personally.]
     
  5. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

    Solafaa

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Location:
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    #5
    I say go for it, Ghz is not as important as the RAM keep that in mind.
     
  6. vtprinz thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2004
    #6
    Exactly, and I would gain 4 extra RAM slots if the dual 2.0 becomes the low end model after the update. Not to mention the dual 2.0 is $500 more expensive than the dual 1.8, so I'd save at least $500.
     
  7. jaseone macrumors 65816

    jaseone

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2004
    Location:
    Houston, USA
    #7
    Is that you're wedding date or something then? :D
     
  8. vtprinz thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2004
    #8
    Hah, not quite. It actually has to do with Financial Aid for school. I can't afford to be a college student without it. I got lucky this year and had a good refund after the school took their cut, which is the only reason I can even afford a new computer. However, FAFSA is due by March 11th, and one of the questions on it is basically "how much money do you have?" If I put down that I have a couple thousand in the bank, I'll likely get screwed over next year as they'll expect that all of that money will go toward tuition.

    Of course, you're probably thinking "why can't it go toward tuition?" Well I'm glad you asked ;)

    I managed to be the ever-so-lucky individual that has one of the iBooks with the faulty logic boards. It's already been fixed twice, and I may or may not get one more fix out of apple before they start charging (the extension program doesn't last forever). If it continues as it did before, I expect the logic board to fail again sometime in august/september, and every 10-12 months after that. So, needless to say, I better invest in a new computer while I have the money.
     
  9. vashim66 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2003
    #9
    Why don't you just write a check to a friend or your parents and have them hold the money for you. That way the money won't be in your account and you can wait for the next powermacs.
     
  10. risc macrumors 68030

    risc

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2004
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #10
    Don't forget that the Rev A Dual 1.8 also had 8 RAM slots, if you wait for the dual 2.0 to become the low-end I think you'll find that it will only have 4 RAM slots when they release it.
     
  11. vtprinz thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2004
    #11
    I've been thinking about doing that, but I'm trying to find out if it's really worth the wait as I'm only buying the low end model. i'd probably gain 200MHz processor speed, maybe 100MHz FSB, 256MB RAM, and probably most importantly 4 extra RAM slots...

    I suppose I should wait?
     
  12. vtprinz thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2004
    #12
    You really think so?
     
  13. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #13
    If you can wait, then I would recommend that strategy. Like you, I'd be upset if a new PowerMac came out shortly after my purchase. The update could come next month then you would be all set. If not, then have your parents hold the funds.
     
  14. vtprinz thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2004
    #14
    Anyone else think this will happen??
     

Share This Page