Should I give up my unlimited data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smf72, Jan 26, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Should I give up my unlimited data plan for the 5GB with tethering. I don't use 5 gigs now but can't get tethering? Just bouncing the thought off you guys

2. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

DO you want to tether? If the answer to my question is "yes", than the answer to your own is the same.

3. macrumors 603

Yes.
    Or maybe No.
    Really I guess it depends on all the stuff you're not mentioning. Do you need tethering? Do you use more than 2GB/mo today (and not get throttled)?

4. macrumors 6502

No, don't give AT&T the satisfaction.

The fact they LIED and said that there was a Spectrum crunch and that's why they had to throttle but in the same instance allow tiered data unthrottled usage shows you that you'd be playing right into their hands.

5. macrumors regular

I was thinking about doing the same thing (seeing I have an iPad). But i came to the conclusion it'd be pointless as I hardly EVER bring my iPad anywhere that doesn't have wifi ;)

6. macrumors 65816

OceanView

Never give up Unlimited.
    You will never get it back should you want it in the future.
    Jailbreak your phone and tether all you want.
    Jailbreaking is not illegal.

7. macrumors 6502a

But then AT&T will gladly switch you over to the 5GB plan thus eliminating your unlimited plan.

8. macrumors 65816

OceanView

That's only if they catch you :cool:

9. macrumors 6502a

It will only be a matter of time, if you're okay with them switching you over then go ahead till you get caught but the chances are very high.

10. macrumors 68020

cyks

No, don't give up your unlimited.

Keep what's now become an overpriced 2GB data plan. So what if you need tether or use more than 2GB, you'll find a way to manage if only to spite AT&T and their greedy ways. You're not going to let the fact that other people can pay the same as you, yet use more data, get to you.

Even though you'll continue to be throttled down to a useless speed in the middle of every month, you'll know in your heart that staying with the 'Unlimited' plan was the right move because you didn't cave into what AT&T wanted.

11. macrumors 65816

If you're inclined to give it up, SELL IT. They're transferable; last I checked they were going for around $400.

12. macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

The new owner would not get to keep the unlimited. They have to choose from the currently offered plans which do not include unlimited. You get that warning on the transfer account responsibility page.

13. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

Is this new? It didn't used to be this way...

14. macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I found out about it last summer when I was trying to GIVE AWAY for free two of my three accounts with unlimited data. I couldn't give them away for free because people knew that this was spelled out in the transfer of responsibility page. This probably happened when they quit offering unlimited.

I finally closed one account and transferred one to Verizon. I still have one AT&T.

15. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

You are completely right. I am not sure why so many down ratings on this post. Thing is, he may as well get as much data out of his unlimited while tethering. If he is thinking of hopping on the tethering plan, may as well let the system switch him over. Could get a couple of months out of a reduced rate.

----------

Well, I am not sure what is different about your situation, but my fiance's sister took over one of my friend's accounts two months ago and got to keep the unlimited. That's why I was shocked to read your post.

16. macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Read it for yourself. Log in to your account and go to the transfer responsibility page.

17. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

I believe it's there. I am just saying she was able to take over his account and keep unlimited is all.

18. macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I'm not sure how that was possible.

Attached Files:

19. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

"May be required". The service still exists. It's just not an option for new subscribers. They would be taking over an existing contract. Like I said, worked for us.

20. macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

You are still able to keep unlimited data plans when you take on responsibility of that number. You cannot transfer just data though. Att has never allowed people to transfer just their data plan.

21. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

Right. I thought that was what we were talking about. :confused:

22. macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

What you are not seeing here is what happens with the other person when they accept the responsibility. They are taken to the page where they have to choose a data plan and unlimited is not a choice. They also have to choose a minutes plan and SMS plan. It's like starting a new account.

23. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

They (fiance's sister and my friend) did it at an ATT store if that makes a difference. Have never done it "online" before.

24. macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Yes if you go into a retail store you are able to keep the unlimited data plan unless there is a fan on the account that blocks this. Certain fan numbers block grandfathered plans from transferring. This is very rare

25. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

Can they not just remove the discount?