Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
hey all, not sure if this belongs in iPod,etc. or not, but whatever...

anyways, i currently have a 1G silver iPod mini, had it since early Jan (i know, i know, i should've waited...). i have a late-2001 iBook with USB 1.1, and i'm wondering if i should sell my mini and it's accesories for a 4gig black nano or not. i have about 2.25gigs of music on my ibook, and i don't use the mini much as an external hd. i'd have to chip in about $100 of my own, maybe more to make up the difference....

i have a prospective buyer, but she's not sure if she really wants it, so what i'm asking is 1) should i sell it? and 2) if my buyer doesn't want it, does anybody here want it? (i know it belongs in marketplace, but i don't really want to make a definitive sale; email or PM me if you're interested)

thanks for the help!

shane-o-mac

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
Take a moment to think about it!

Really, it is a very personal decision. Maybe take a few minutes to outline what you really use your ipod for and if you think you may want to take advantage of photo or video option in the future. Honestly the difference in price between the 4g Ipod nano and New 30gb Ipod is about $50.00. If you really feel 4g will suit your needs for the next few years go for it...however for the extra cash you get a hell of a lot more storage and the new ipod is pretty small, of course not nano small. I am a firm believer in buying what you need. I have downloaded some tv shows from itunes and I have admit it is really sweet and a feature I dig..esp on planes and between long classes. But ultimatley the decision is based on your needs, not mine.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
fyi, it's mostly music usage....i haven't gone over 2.5GB in almost four years; i think i'll be ok for another two. the thing i like about the nano is the size, or lack thereof, the ablitiy to have something so small/thin is very appealing to me (see my signature)...also, nbc would have to release 'the west wing' and abc would have to release 'grey's anatomy' for the ipod for me to even consider the new one, as VERY nice as it is....yet i do like the photo upload feature on the ipod; its the one thing the nano's lacking...

but your ultimate advice is to at least sell the mini in favor of a new iPod, even though i'd have to deal with usb 1.1 (hopefully not for long, but still...)

jiv3turkey748

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2004
atlanta
if you want a color screen fr veiwng pictures or whatever then or you judt relly love the nano then you should get it
but if not then just save your oney and keep your ipod

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
clearly the nano. You don't have close to enough music to need the full sized ipod, the nano is cheaper, and you highly value the smallness of the nano. I don't see any reason whatsoever to go for the 5th gen. here.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
a new iPod or a new Nano?

Physical size, storage capacity, video. The differences are stark. Your call.

I note you are on USB 1 though. The Nano and new iPods do not support firewire for syncing. USB 1 will be slooooow. Also, does USB1 support charging? If not, you've lost some flexibility and you're up for an external charger (no longer included).

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
devman said:

I note you are on USB 1 though. The Nano and new iPods do not support firewire for syncing. USB 1 will be slooooow. Also, does USB1 support charging? If not, you've lost some flexibility and you're up for an external charger (no longer included).

exactly. so, my question is, should i sell the mini to get a nano or should i keep the mini?

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
asherman13 said:
exactly. so, my question is, should i sell the mini to get a nano or should i keep the mini?

Oh, you do not want a nano. Keep the mini, or else get a second iPod, such as the previous 4th generation iPod with color screen. Until you upgrade to a machine with USB2, you don't want one of the current iPods.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
wongulous said:
Oh, you do not want a nano. Keep the mini, or else get a second iPod, such as the previous 4th generation iPod with color screen. Until you upgrade to a machine with USB2, you don't want one of the current iPods.

why not? i AM planning on upgrading to a g4 ibook within the next six months, i figure i can deal with one long upload on usb 1.1....any other reasons why i wouldn't want a nano?

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
asherman13 said:
why not? i AM planning on upgrading to a g4 ibook within the next six months, i figure i can deal with one long upload on usb 1.1....any other reasons why i wouldn't want a nano?

Yeah, I too do not follow that posters logic. My sister has a Nano, and loves it. Pretty much it's a iPod Photo with a flash hard drive. If you're not going to use the video option just stick with the Nano. It's also great for running.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
asherman13 said:
Doubt it will be a G4 ibook in another 6 months...

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
For me buying and ipod is about 50% funtionality 50% style (16years old what can I say) So naturally I loved the ipod nano when it came out and I was fully prepared to chuck my zen micro (sh** never buy one I got mine for xmas) and grab myself a nano then the 12th rumors showed up and I figured might aswell wait a bit it could be something big. So ipod video video ehh.. probly not gonna use that much extra ten gigs like that alot for backup (ibook only has a 60 gig hd) Big screen for pictures really like that I have a ton of photos. So for funtional regular ipod is now pulling like a 49% but then I see how thin it is (go to cenet dot com and have a look lot easier to get an idea of how small it is) The near 40% decrease in thikness brings my style score up to like plus the black brings my style points waaay up... wow im good at rambling long story short Id go with the new ipod but nano's are super cool if I had my way and more money I think id get both.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
macbaseball said:
If you're not going to use the video option just stick with the Nano. It's also great for running.
It's also great for everyday use! I guess I can't say for sure because this is only the second day I've had my nano, but in the Apple armband, you don't even notice it there. I can't see myself ever using video capabilities (well, as they are on the currently 'new' iPod) and previous experience w/ a 3rd gen 20GB iPod has taught me well-- I do not use all the storage and I do not use a 'larger' iPod.

So when I saw the nano... I knew I had to get one.

To the OP, have you seen/held the nano in person? I'd try it first if I were you... it almost feels too small, even for my rather tiny hands but I love it! It's a rare 'issue' for me, so in reality, it's probably just the right size for me. :p

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
devilot76 said:
It's also great for everyday use! I guess I can't say for sure because this is only the second day I've had my nano, but in the Apple armband, you don't even notice it there. I can't see myself ever using video capabilities (well, as they are on the currently 'new' iPod) and previous experience w/ a 3rd gen 20GB iPod has taught me well-- I do not use all the storage and I do not use a 'larger' iPod.

So when I saw the nano... I knew I had to get one.

To the OP, have you seen/held the nano in person? I'd try it first if I were you... it almost feels too small, even for my rather tiny hands but I love it! It's a rare 'issue' for me, so in reality, it's probably just the right size for me. :p

well, the video-ness is def. a perk, but i'm not sure if i want to trade away the size (or lack therof) of the nano for the bigger (than the nano) size of the new ipod, even though it plays videos and (more important than videos) it syncs photos from my camera, unlike the nano. the price gap isn't too bad for me; its just a matter of selling my itrip mini and my airclick mini when i sell my ipod mini. however; if i do want video, i'm going to have to deal with the hecka slow conversion times on my 600mhz g3....what to do?!!?? :confused:

moot

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2004
in the great Asian wonderland
devman said:

Yes, USB 1.1 usually supports charging - definitly on an iBook. I have a shuffle and an old iBook and it works no problem. And it is not noticbly slow in syncing.

I'd get a nano unless you really want video. The way I see it, if I buy a nano now, next year when they release the proper video ipods I can also buy one of them. However, if I buy this "practice" video ipod now, I don't think I could justify buying another one next year.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I dunno. At this point, I think the new iPod is the better deal even taking into consideration, it's size. 26 extra GBs and video capabilities make it pretty attractive. Had this been compared with the previous color iPod, I would say no.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
moot said:
Yes, USB 1.1 usually supports charging - definitly on an iBook. I have a shuffle and an old iBook and it works no problem. And it is not noticbly slow in syncing.

I'd get a nano unless you really want video. The way I see it, if I buy a nano now, next year when they release the proper video ipods I can also buy one of them. However, if I buy this "practice" video ipod now, I don't think I could justify buying another one next year.

hmmm, thats really interesting. i am, however, not sure if i can justify having two ipods at the same time :D i don't have much music...only about 2.45GB (it went up...)

i do want to remind everyone that i'm also having reservations about even getting rid of my mini and replacing it with a nano or a new ipod. what should i do, dump the mini for a nano/ipod or keep the mini?

EDIT i'd like to also make it clear that if anybody's interested in my ipod mini, to please PM/IM me or email me (i know this belongs in the marketplace, but i didn't want to set a definitive price...)

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
devman said:

USB 1 does support charging. As far as it being slow he only has 2.25 gigs of music, after the initial transfer it doesn't look like the speed of USB will hurt him at all.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
dan-o-mac said:
USB 1 does support charging. As far as it being slow he only has 2.25 gigs of music, after the initial transfer it doesn't look like the speed of USB will hurt him at all.

my thoughts exactly.

EDIT fyi, this is illegal as you can get; found it in this thread. haven't tried it yet, but it looks good enough for me, since i was wondering about the .avi files produced by the forty-two ripping software....this has made me consider the ipod over the nano; i didn't know i could do this....

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
devman said:

again, it comes down to three choices

1) keep the mini

2) sell/trade-in mini, get an iPod Nano

3) sell/trade-in mini, get a new 5G iPod

any votes? keep in mind i have usb1.1, but only 2.45GB of music...

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
I would keep the iPod mini until you get a computer that supports USB2. Then get a nano unless you anticipate a vast increase in your music collection.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
amin said:
I would keep the iPod mini until you get a computer that supports USB2. Then get a nano unless you anticipate a vast increase in your music collection.

Thats true to some extent, but using USB 1.1 with a small music collection is fine, it becomes a chore when you have 10+GB's to transfer over to the iPod....

I'd say go for the 4gb Nano, and sell the iPod mini on ebay or marketplace,

SHadow

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
shadowmoses said:
Thats true to some extent, but using USB 1.1 with a small music collection is fine, it becomes a chore when you have 10+GB's to transfer over to the iPod....

I'd say go for the 4gb Nano, and sell the iPod mini on ebay or marketplace,

SHadow

all valid ideas. i'm just gonna post the reasons (in my opinion) for or against either one of the choices, sort of a wrap up for those who don't want to read everything

1) keep the ipod mini
For: it's the fastest speed i'm going to get with my current computer, i dont have to spend any money, i already have 4GB, i have a good amount of accessories
Against: no color screen, no photo view/upload, no video, not as thin as nano OR 30GB ipod w/video

2) sell/trade-in ipod mini, get a nano
For: color screen, photo viewing, and it's oh-so-very thin and tiny, not a lot of music for one slow upload during the night
Against: slow transfer speeds via usb1.1 on my soon-to-be-replaced computer, no photo upload, no video, have to pay some $$ for 4GB, but save $50 from not buying the ipod w/video

3) sell/trade-in ipod mini, get a new ipod (30GB)
For: color screen, photo viewing/uploading (from camera), video playback, still thinner than my mini, can put lots of my DVDs on it to watch
Against: slow transfer speeds via usb1.1 on my soon-to-be-replaced computer, 30GB is a lot of space=> lots of videos => long time to transfer, thicker than the nano, have to pay more $$ than for nano or mini, it's wide (i have to hold it in my hand to decide if that's really a pro or con)

any more votes or opinions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.