Should i go for this?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Daveway, Sep 27, 2004.

1. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

well, they registered in romania and the item's in the uk and they'll only take money order/cashiers check, no paypal. but then again they have really good feedback and it's a damn good deal. maybe too good to be true though...sorry im being so equivocal

2. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Sure! It looks cool. Computers over eBay scare the heck out of me though. I don't want to get scammed. If you feel confident... Go for it. I'm betting it's going to go for much more than 1k though.

3. Daveway thread starter macrumors 68040

Daveway

buy it now is $1500

to good to be true? im scared of a scam tho

4. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I don't see a buy it now button.

If you are scared.... don't do it. Always trust your instincts. Something that looks too good to be true usually is. (Or hot) :eek:

5. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

For me that would be an uncomfortably low price for what you're getting. The accessories (ipod, isight, etc) they are throwing in are probably worth the $999 alone. The rating is good though, If I were you I'd try to contact the guy and see if theres some way you get get it to via paypal with your credit card, I know some credit card companies offer some sort of fraud protection.

Let us know what you do! Good Luck!

allison.

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...be careful, be very very careful..oh yeah!

7. Dandaman macrumors 6502

yeah, be careful. one of my roommates once bought a car over ebay!! I told him he was crazy. Don't know how the car is running now.

daniel

8. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

"Be careful" as in..It's a scam!

Save your money. If you want to piss it away, give it to me and you will get in return what this guy would be giving you...

9. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    DON'T BID... The pics are from someone elses auction and the wording is veg and the restricted bidders... PLEASE DON'T BID, I have seen things like this before!!!

Just some good advice!
    Mark Jozatis

10. filete01 macrumors newbie

Could be a scam! I heard of a similar auction for a Canon digital Rebel and my friend got scammed for $700. The bid was from someone supposeddly in the US but then turned out he had to send the money to an eastern european country and got scammed.
    Here's the link to the scam auction so you know what to look for:
    eBay scam

11. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Could be a scam? WAKE UP PEOPLE! Let's see, a 20" iMac with BT (hello, very few of these have even shipped and those that have, even fewer have arrived, go view the iMac G5 Now Shipping thread), not to mention all the other items included in this so-called auction. 2GB RAM, AE, iPod, iSight, AppleCare, no reserve, 1 day auction.

Just my opinion but I wonder why people think there are free lunches available in this world.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, I wonder why as well? Its such an obvious scam that surely you're sussed (ie: suspect) of this deal. If you even need to ask, don't. Don't ask, because you and I both know its a scam.

13. callmesideburns macrumors newbie

Definitely a scam

If you're wondering about the feedback, it is most likely a hijacked ebay account. If you ever receive emails from "ebay" or "paypal" asking for credit card information, bank account confirmation, anything personal... do not respond or fill out the form. Ebay and Paypal will never handle sensitive information over email.

14. dieselg4 macrumors regular

dieselg4

I bet if you email them and ask for permission to bid (as the auction requests) you'll get a detailed email about how they have a liquidation company, buy tons of computers from bankrupt businesses, yaddah yaddah yaddah. This is clearly a scam, there are many others like it on there, and eBay has been irresponsibly lax on taking care of these things. NEVER pay for merchandise with Western Union or MO, esp. for big ticket items. Remeber, Paypal's and eBay's buy protection is a joke for anything over 200-300 dollars. eBay protects you up to $200, and Paypal protects you up to $300, and not w/o a fight i would imagine. Plus, if you pay for this outside the auction (as I am sure they ewill ask you to do) you have NO protection AT ALL.

15. dieselg4 macrumors regular

dieselg4

and about feedback

If you look at the previous auctions, all she's seemed to sell before was antiperspereant and tacky girl's clothing, come CD's and DVD's. It seems strange that this person would suddenly come across a brand new iMac to sell.

I think someone's account has been hacked.

16. billyb macrumors member

not in a million years

i see the auction's ending in 10' and someone bid...but it sure wasn't me. "just took it out of the box to take pictures"...right. Why would you do that? You know opening the box reduces the value.

sending cash (MO, check) to another country is ridiculous. what will you do if they don't ship? sue them?

17. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Well, it went to $999... Someones been scammed...

18. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    MORE INFO!!! Apple has not satred shipping them outside of the USA how did they get one... HUM...