should i go with a pro model next time

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Jul 7, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    my first mac since i have been a techie was a pro level mac for its time...a 185 mhz power tower pro which listed over four grand

the next machine i got, which is my current mac, was a 300 mhz ibook...though much better than the power tower pro, it was a consumer level model

now that the ibook is getting near three years old, i have considered another consumer model like an ibook, iMac, or emac

and that seems to fulfill my needs

could anybody out there see reasons why i should go for another pro level model like a g4 tower or tibook?

...i still do mostly e-mail, internet, light gaming, light photoshop/illustrator/pagemaker graphics, and word recording, digital video, or autocad stuff
  2. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    South Dakota, USA
    It depends on how much you want to spend, but it sounds like you use the computer much like I do and for that it seems the consumer models are your best value. The eMac, iMac, and iBook are all excellent computers. They are marketed as consumer models, but I bet there are more then a few pros out there that are using them as well. You know that would be an interesting question on here to ask...Who uses an Apple consumer model for professional work? I think you will be happy with the money you have saved, dollar for dollar the i and e models off a lot of value.
  3. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    jef, It sounds to me like a consumer level machine would suit you just fine. If you got along with an iBook for 3 years a high level iMac would suit you nicely. Both the eMac and iMac are good deals since they have G4s and you could still use the iBook as a portable if you wanted.
  4. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    the funny thing is i can even use a crt imac for three more years since

1) there is firewire and that is cool
    2) the 56k modem is cool since dsl is still rare here and if you want it, it's still more than fifty dollars a month and will stay that way for a time
    3) i don't go mobile that much so any desktop cpu would do just fine

but if i went crt, i would use my student status to get the emac for $999 USD:D
  5. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA

If you want your machine to last a while...I would go pro.

I think that a tower still has a place in all homes. Its expandible so you can put the new "firewire 2" or "usb 2" in it. You can have 5.1 speakers. You can put bigger, better monitors.

Its faster, IMO better looking, and more expandible.

These are my problems with consumer line comps...

The iMac- Screen is ok for a newbie user, but just too small even though its a LCD. The Graphics Card is a POS IMO. Speakers suck on em, but you can get different ones. Very very fradgile. No expandiblity, slower than pro, and sh*tty sound.

The eMac- Well, for the price, its a nice machine. Only thing I can complain about is the fan problem I have heard, the size, and the weight. Oh yea, get external speakers. As for expandiblity, same as the iMac.

iBook- I like the iBook. If you are getting a laptop, expandiblity must not matter THAT much to you. Nice graphics for a G3, and the sound still sux. Small screen, sh*tty rez, and slow processor.

For the things you are doing, if you wanted a consumer, I would get an eMac. Now, if you want to get a used computer or refurb. I would get the PowerBook G4. No problems with that!!!
  6. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    if i went g4 tower, i would really only need the cheapest one for $1699 and not need the high end tower with dual 1 ghz processors

i wonder what macworld new york will bring in the tower department...dual 1.3 ghz? or faster? low end at 1 ghz?

my ultimate goal would be a g4 ibook but that may not happen this year but i can wait to mwsf 2003 if need be
  7. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2002
    Deep within the heart of madness!
    I think that when the prices drop on the 1 ghz powermacs after MWNY.

That would be the best tower for your needs for a long time to come.

I think that the pro line is the only way to go and I think that they last longer.

PRO all the way!
  8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    Whatever you decide to get, get a G4 processor. I would say that if you get the tower, get the mid level one. As it stands now, the low end model doesn't have any L3 cache. The L3 cache makes a huge difference in the system performance. The mid level tower also has other things to offer, such as a longer usable life span.
  9. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    if i had bought the 350 mhz pci g4 tower for $1599 instead of the 300 ibook for the same price, i would have definitely had a more productive "third" year in the almost three years i have used my computer

i already had a good sony monitor and i could have expanded the ram way up and the graphics card on the g4 tower so that would have been the better buy

hindsight is 20/20

buying any machine now and expecting it to work productively for three full years is a questionable proposition since i have seen so many users (some teens) here swap out their machines every two years or even every year...and i am not always sure if they can afford it...he he...or they have rich daddys and mommys:)

adopt me, please:p
  10. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2002
    Deep within the heart of madness!
    I can't adopt you sadly since you seem very nice.

But I can give you the advise to buy a TOWER and it will last you longer and you will get more productivity in the last years of its live.

I know money can be an issue , but productivity is also.

If you buy after MW, it won't cost that much more for a good DP 1 giger...YUM!

And as you said you already have the monitor,, I think that the decision is obvious....
  11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    The biggest advantages to going to the Tower are:

1. Upgradeable graphics card.
    2. CPU on a plug-in card.
    3. Spare spots for internal HD upgrades.
    4. Easier access to internals.
    5. Multi-monitor support.

The towers have generally had a long service life with Mac users, and right now they're the only Macs with CPUs and video not soldered to the motherboard.
  12. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    if you have to get a new computer now i would say get a G4, either the iMac, eMac or even a tower, but stay away from the iBooks. they're still alright, but not in the long term.

or, if you can wait, there might be a G4 iBook just around the corner...
    just hold out for a little longer and keep your eye on the rumors.;)