Should I go with a Westinghouse?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RMD68, Mar 31, 2007.

1. RMD68 macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2007
    It's finally time for me to enter the HD market. I've been spending a lot of time at Best Buy, Circuit City etc. trying to get a feel for the many types and brands of HDTV's. Although you can get more bang for your buck screen wise with the rear projection HDTV's my heart is set on a flat-panel. I think with the flat panels the picture is crisper and the size can't be beat. From searching on these forums and AVSForums I heard a lot of good things about the Westinghouse HD monitors. They come in three sizes the 37", 42" and the 47". All of them seem to have the same features and inputs the only difference being the obvious the size of them. The only problem with the Westinghouse is that there haven't been any stores that I can see it on display. The only thing I have to base my opinion on the Westinghouse monitors is from online testimony. What are other members opinions of these monitors? Do they live up to the hype? How do they compare to other HDTV's such as the Aquos? Is there anything else I should be looking at? The Aquos looked very good and the price was similar to the Westinghouse of similar size. I cant afford to go all out and get buy the $5,000+ models but I still want the 1080P experience. This is what attracted me to the Westinghouse. Sorry if that was too long winded. Thanks in advance for anyones input.
  2. Passante macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2004
    on the sofa
    I've had a Westinghouse LTV-32W for more than a year and I'm very happy with it.
  3. caccamolle macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2005
    I just purchased the 37w3 (1080p) and so far I am fairly satisfied, considering that it is $1000.

The reason I say fairly is (a) I have used it very little and (b) I have had problems using its hdmi connection for the ps3. The latter however appears to be a problem with the PS3 rather than the panel.

I have not tried BR movies yet (actually you remind me I have to order one of my favorite movies as I can't find it in the stores).

Also, the set comes with many many connections and I was told that it works great as a computer monitor. This is another use I will make, but have not had a chance yet.

Anyhow, basically I wanted to give you a first reaction, as a user. Many are very happy with this panel and so far I am not quite there; there are issues one should be aware of. These may however be related only with the hdmi/ps3 connection. I will find out soon though, as I do have a HD-DVD player with HDMI to do a test.
  4. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Oct 31, 2005
    Twin Cities, MN
    Exactly, check the sig, I have the exact same monitor, and got the same deal. The thing is, for the price, and 1080p, it can't be beat, period. However, our family also has a few of the high-end Samsung 1080p LCD's, and their HD kicks the tail off any other LCD I've seen. Of course, you'll pay for it too.

For me, I use the 37W3 primarily as my monitor for my PC, although I also use it for an HDTV and DVD watching as well. For my needs, it's totally perfect. However, if you're a stickler for high quality, and you want LCD, I'd go with a Sammy.
  5. caccamolle macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2005
    yep, there ain't no free lunch !

I must say however that I am a bit surprised thw pq of hd material is so much better on the more expensive samsung panel. I emphasize, surprised, I would not know except for some looking at places like best buys where things are difficult to judge.
  6. JNB macrumors 604

Oct 7, 2004
    In a Hell predominately of my own making
    I've always been extemely satisfied with the price/performance of Mistubishi. Since I'm likely going to go DLP, it works out for me.

Honestly, though, most any of the majors you buy will give you more than satisfactory performance. If you're happy with the unit, then it's good, eh?

The lines are blurring, too. My next fridge may be a Samsung...
  7. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2001
    west of Philly
    Make sure it's been manufactured recently. There was problem with the Westinghouse LCDs where they would refuse to turn on without unplugging it. Happens to ours about once a day so I keep it on a power strip with a switch.

There's a bios upgrade to fix the problem, but it's not user installable and the company that is doing the servicing for Westinghouse is REALLY slow. I've been on the waiting list in my area since July of last year.

Other than that I'm fairly happy with the 42 we got; picture is good, tons of inputs, no bad pixels, but remote sensitivity sucks. I'm not sure if the remote thing is the remote or the sensor. If it's the remote a nice universal might fix the problem.
  8. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    Make sure you check the resolution of the Screen. Many HD panels being sold have a resolution of 1366x768 but are sold as 720p, which is false, unless you know how to set it up correctly and do not distort the image to fill the screen. The proper resolution for 1080i/p is 1920x1080, ensure that it has that capability.

As for looking at Westinghouse, I know for a fact that K-Mart and Target carry them in the store if you want to see them.