Should I have reservations about Western Digital Hard Drives?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2A Batterie, Jan 3, 2006.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I'm about to purchase this hard drive for my dual 2.0 PM G5 and was wondering if I should have any reservations. Any reviews on Western Digital?

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I have the exact same drive in my Power Mac G5 and can't fault it at all. Hard drives like any device with moving parts do fail, but personally i've had no problem with any Western Digital drives.

3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Our computer store usually always purchases Maxtors or Seagates, in the past they have been very good to us, and we have only had to replace 1 drive out of hundred. DOA rate is low and the warranty is pretty decent. Our Appletech is not a big fan of WD, but I have heard good things about WD as well. Just make sure the warranty is good.

4. DarkBlue-G5 macrumors member

DarkBlue-G5

No problems with WD drives here. Prior to Switching, WD drives were the only ones I bought and, indeed, when I needed a second HD in my Mac I went straight for a WD Caviar.

5. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I wouldn't have any reservations about Western Digital whatsoever. I currently have 7 Western Digital Drives (5 x Internal, 2 x External) in use at the moment between my Mac and PC, having had another 2 before that (simply upgraded them as 80GB wasn't enough any more!). In addition to this, I have two friends who I introduced to WD who are running 2 each, along with a friend who uses them in his business PCs in preference to other hard drive manufacturers and has yet to have one fail.

Add that to the fact WD offer very generous warranties on their drives (3 to 5 years), and that they're very quiet, I wouldn't be worried at all, in fact I'd be happy you have one!

6. cwright macrumors 6502a

I've been through lots of hard drives of various brands and never had any problems with Wester Digital. Go for it!

Right now I have 2 of those exact drives you're about to buy set up in a 640GB RAID 0. Runs great and FAST :)

7. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Personally I wouldn't buy anything other than Seagate. You wouldn't believe the number of dead Maxtor, WD and Fujitsu (especially fujitsu) drives we've got stacked up in the office at work. We have NEVER had a Seagate fail.

8. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Storage Review.com has tons of good information regarding makes and models of hard drives. It is a must when buying a new drive to ensure you make the best decision.