Should I install this beta on my primary phone?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by felixen, Jun 12, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone!

I only have one iPhone and this is my primary phone. I am curious about iOS6 though. Would you guys recommended installing it, or is it still too buggy and risky to install on a primary phone?

I'm curious how it's running on your iPhones, and what the downsides to installing it are? Never had an iOS beta before.. Thanks!!

2. macrumors 603

3. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unless you're a developer who needs to test out the new iOS, then not.

The risks of having an unstable phone is to great and generally speaking its very difficult if not impossible to revert back to the prior version.

4. macrumors 68000

thewitt

5. macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I have been since iOS 4 ... I have yet to render my primary phone (Not a rich man so it's my Dev phone too).

Sure there are some minor bugs that pop up, but I have yet to see any show stoppers.

So in short, yes if you don't mind some minor annoyances.

6. macrumors 65816

iOS is actually not too bad. There's a poll here, and last I checked less than 50% of users reported having more than a few problems.

7. macrumors 6502a

GIZBUG

no.

8. macrumors 68020

This beta is much, much more stable than beta-1 of iOS5 but who's to say that the next beta won't be worse?
    With iOS5, some of the betas seemed like deliberate steps backward.
    It all depends on what Apple is looking to have tested in any given perios and it isn't always a natural progression from worse to better.
    If you can't commit for the long stretch then you probably shouldn't risk it because going back to the released iOS from a beta is not always easy.
    Again, going back from this first beta doesn't seem to be a problem but that could change from beta to beta.
    In fact the instructions flat-out say that going back is not an option all though with beta-1 anyway, that doesn't seem to be true.

9. macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Yes, when jobs declared thermonuclear war he meant IOS6, he knew striking back with an updated settings app icon, and some random funky theme inconsistencies would destroy all that stands in its way!

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aaaaah mixed signals :confused: :confused:

Haha, man I dont know. I am releasing apps but I don't develop them myself. It's mainly just excitement over checking out the new features. It's definitely a good point that it's risky though. I mean if my alarm for instance wouldn't work in the morning I'd be screwed when I woke up 4 hours too late. Then again if it's only a little lag here and there, then that shouldn't bother me too much..

So someone said wait for beta 3. How long does it usually take before they update to beta 2, beta 3 etc?

11. macrumors member

Bear in mind that all of your settings, messages, etc including saved games and things like that will be gone.

iOS 6 Beta (like other betas) is a software image not a software update/upgrade.

Not so much of a worry if it isn't your main phone but worth bearing in mind if it is.

12. macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

It really isn't a smart idea. Though I must say I did and I also restored from an iOS 5 backup and it's been pretty flawless this far. I'm also one of "those people" whom the community despises so much that got a developer to register my device. I honestly don't know why it's a huge deal as I have a true passion for Apple and beta testing is an "adventure" to me. That said, I'm not one to complain and bitch about things not working right.

I guess to answer your question though, it's not advised but I do it each year. Just know that sometimes things can happen and you have to live with it. Last year those of us who did not update to beta 4 in time had our phones reset to factory setup mode and that was a bummer but, as mentioned, you're taking the risk when installing the software. THAT said, while it definitely had a few kinks, this beta seems impressively stable for it being the first one.

Cheers and good luck.

13. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, I think this and Gjwilly's post convinced me. I'm just not a big fan of the waiting game.

14. *Calypso*, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

macrumors regular

I'd say it depends. If you are a college student who only uses his phone for Facebooking and texting and you want to show of iOS 6 to your friends at the next party, I'd say give it a shot. If this is your business phone and a few missed phone calls or lost data can cost you your job, don't. ;)

And I see absolutely nothing wrong in non-developers playing with beta versions, as long as they don't cry like a baby when something does not work properly.

15. macrumors 65816

It's unlikely, though.

16. macrumors 603

nfl46

I installed it on my primary device. It works fine for me so far. I've even used the Maps application while coming to work today. Of course there are bugs, but its nothing "majorrrrr".

17. macrumors 68020

Not true for beta-1 anyway.
    It can be installed right over iOS5 like any other update.
    All settings and media are retained.
    The next beta might be different but this one has been pretty innocuous.

----------

You wouldn't say that if you'd tried the iOS5 betas.

18. macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Go ahead. Unless your phone is CRITICAL. The worst I have had to do is a restart. It will come back after that. I have used betas for 3 years and never had more than annoying hiccups and more frequent restarts.

Edit: Also we need more people on the beta for better crowd sourced traffic! lol

19. Contributor

AndyK

If you have no experience of running beta software, have no use to do so other than to "try it out" and have no other device for normal use when the beta randomly crashes and bugs out (because that's what betas do) you really should not.

20. macrumors 601

OneMike

21. macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

Personally, I only run pre-release/beta software on my primary phone when it is at the GM stage. Given that GMs are usually the most stable

22. macrumors regular

Attached Files:

23. macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Best show ever.

24. macrumors 6502a

The betas of iOS 5 were simply tragic. After that experience, I would advise against installing a beta of iOS, if you have to rely on your phone in any situation in your everyday life.

25. macrumors 6502

i upgraded my primary iphone 4s. I have experience no issues whatsoever. I been enjoying the new features! :)