Should I join ADC just for the discount??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by starcrossed, May 27, 2004.

1. starcrossed macrumors regular

I have noticed that the prices from Apple's ADC Store are still cheaper than the Apple Education Store. Well as a student, it says that I can join for just $99 a year, which would still save me some money on purchases through that year, so I was wondering if this is indeed possible and if I won't get in trouble or anything since I'm not a true developer. I figure as long as I pay my money and prove I'm a student, Apple won't really give a care. I also read that Apple will give ADC members a once-in-a-lifetime substantial discount on Apple Hardware. Could someone explain to me how this works and how much the discount would be, maybe on a 15'' Powerbook w.Superdrive. Also I remembered another question, is the amount you can buy in the year the same with the education store with 1 computer allowed and only two software titles? Any response to this post would be greatly appreciated.

2. sandercox macrumors newbie

Officially your purchases via the developer progam are machines you may only use for development purposes... I've no idea how strict Apple is on this and as long as the BSA isn't dropping by you won't have any problems I *think*
    I've no idea what the actual discounts are.

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

$100 is for student ADC. you get once a lifetime discount on the hardware. i assume this is what you are talking about. i hear they may ask you to prove that you are taking developer related classes by fax. (but not always) this can be as simple as taking an intro C++ class.

$500 is for regular ADC. you get once a year discount on hardware, after your first year of membership.

4. starcrossed thread starter macrumors regular

Well to be honest, I'm do try and dabble in Xcode every once in a while as an amateur. I never taken any developer classes yet, but I've been wanting to take one or two, once I get most of the classes associated with my degree out of the way. But I was just asking about this since I am looking to may a Powerbook purchase soon, and have noticed I would infact generally save money on the total purchase which then would keep my personal 24 month-plan payments to my credit card a little cheaper.

5. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Guilty as charged...lI did exactly what you're talking about a year ago...

I'm just a regular student, not a developer. Assuming the requirements are still the same, all you'll have to do is send in some proof that you're a student to confirm your membership. Once you do that, you have a *one time* hardware purchase (and the discount is very significant).

Plus, you do get some other cool stuff out of it. A T-shirt :D, plus software. I got a free copy of Panther when it came out!

6. starcrossed thread starter macrumors regular

So I pay the $100, send in prove of my enrollement in college, and will immediatly be given the oppurtunity for a discount on ONLY ONE hardware purchase ever? Would the price be the same as listed on the ADC Store or even cheaper?? Yeah, I do remember Apple giving Panther for free to members, so I could possibly also be entitled to Tiger for free when it is released? I'm curious what other perks would I recieve as a student ADC member.

7. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Is the student membership is the same as a Select membership (but cheaper, obviously)?

I signed up for the Select last year and received the following:

Panther.
    XCode 1.1 Disks
    Monthly sample code/documentation/SDK CDs and DVDs.
    Download access to newer, pre-release builds of OSX etc.
    1 Hardware discount (up to 20%, I believe)
    2 Tech Support incidents
    Access to software seeds.
    Access to compatibility labs in Cupertino (not much use to me! ;) )

8. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i don't support this your taking advantage of a system for real developers.

9. starcrossed thread starter macrumors regular

I don't want anyone to start considering me a cheapskate or anything. I have an admiration for Apple's relationship with developers through the ADC program. I would love to one day learn how really develop software as a hobby and distribute that as freeware or shareware like many others, but unfortunatly I have yet to really take any programming classes which I do plan on at least taking a few to get me started in the new future. So I really don't think I would be scamming Apple in all since I am a student that will hopefully learn more on the developing at some time. And all I want is a Powerbook at a price a little cheaper than the education store offers.

10. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

The Education discount was made for students. You're a student.

The ADC discount is for developers. You're not a developer.

Pretty simple.

If you're still gonna go for the ADC discount, far be it from me to judge you. It doesn't make you a cheapskate either. I just don't think it makes any sense to try and justify it with this talk of developing someday, etc.

11. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

Hmm, how much cheaper does the Student Developers Discount really make Apple Hardware? Is it $100 or $200 below Edu. Discount prices, or even greater than that?

12. Gherkin macrumors 6502

Listen man, do whatever is cheaper for you. Don't let these people scare you off who are saying it is wrong. A few people taking advantage of this developer discount isn't going to make Apple go bankrupt. Who knows, you may start to get the developer info sent to you, start toying around with the software, and then actually start developing.

I'm using the the ADC student discount and I have no developing experience. I am taking an Intro to Programming class next semester though. Who knows, I might really like the class, and then start looking at the stuff Apple is sending me, and get into the whole developing thing.

13. Gherkin macrumors 6502

It depends, but for me I am saving just about $200 off the Education price (you can see what I am buying below).

14. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

please, if you are going to cheat and lie, just do it. don't tell us because it bothers the heck out of some of us, like me.

"a few people taking advantage..." - the society doesn't function if everyone thought the way you do. no, apple will not go bankrupt. no, that doesn't mean you are not wrong in doing so.

15. Gherkin macrumors 6502

Society would be GREAT if everyone thought they way I do.

Though that has more to do then this little deal here...

16. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

you get a one-time only hardware purchase discount - not throughout a year. You get free OS updates for a year, and developer software once a month.

Don't abuse it or real developers won't be able to take advantage of it and keep churning out top-notch software.

17. johng723 macrumors member

I just signed up for the student ADC program. Does this mean that when tiger comes out Apple will ship it to me for free?

18. Darius macrumors newbie

I've been considering signing up for the ADC as a student since I am actually a CS major. I'm going to be buying a new mac here in the next few months. Bottom line, is it worth it to pay the $99 to sign up? Is there a way to see the pricing ahead of time?

19. mcfudd macrumors member

I am a student developer and I got panther free

20. mcfudd macrumors member

it is worth it if you plan on purchasing an expensive computer. The discount is approx 20%