should i just buy a new one (iPod battery content)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iPegboy, Mar 15, 2004.

1. iPegboy macrumors regular

so i have a first gen. iPod which seems to have abruptly died today. Two days ago, after a recharge, it appeared to have died. i thought i might have left it on or something. but today, i had it recharged, listened for about an hour (still at full bars). then when it turned it on about 30 minutes later ... well, it didn't turn on. now it won't charge, when i plug it into the firewire on my iBook i get nothing.

is it dead, dead? i'm sad. it's been a trooper for a long time. those mini's are nice though ....

2. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I just read where Apple has a program for battery replacement for about $100??? I don't know any specifics, but some sort of deal since they used to cost people over $200 to get a new one put in which is of course close to the price of a new one. Check it out on Apple.com...don't know where though.

3. briankonar macrumors regular

i was in your exact situation last week, same exact problem. i went to the local apple store (on michigan ave, chicago). $99 plus tax (about $108) gets you a brand new 5 gb ipod (may be refurbished, but i'm quite sure it was new, or at least it had a new casing). so far it's definitely been worth it as I don't want to buy another one until it either has a color screen or a video pod replaces it. battery life is as good as when i first bought it (10 hours +) and I'm nothing but pleased (I thought of buying a new battery, approx. $50, but that doesn't get you any new internal components as well as after 2 years my ipod was scratched and dirty as hell).

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

If you can get a new or new-ish one for $100 I would say do that. Esp. if they replace the outer case. Yeah the new Mini's are cool, but the original has the real coolness. You were there from the begining, you can't duplicate that.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

same thing happened to me. I bought a new battery from PDAsmart.com and installed it myself. Brought my ipod right back to life!

... but then I broke down and got a mini anyway. :eek: Now my gf has the 5g though, and it's running perfectly! :)

So the moral of the story is... :confused: (hehehe...)

6. briankonar macrumors regular

my sentiments exactly, i'm the OG :D .

o and if you do get your iPod replaced, i recommend buying a casing for it RIGHT THERE! slap that bad boy in the case AS SOON as you remove the plastic covering. My iPod already has several "scars", and the chrome just looks nasty with fingerprints.

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    well if u can get it for 100 refurb go ahead if not just geta 15

8. iPegboy thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the advice everyone. i'll take it to my local apple store this weekend. so they give me a brand new one instead of simply replacing the battery? good thing i have everything backed up ....

9. iPegboy thread starter macrumors regular

get this!

after talking with a friend, i found out there is a way to "reset" your iPod. if you hold down the menu and play buttons, then it will reboot. it came back alive with full bars!

Santos L Halper lives!