Should I Just Wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sthpark7791, Dec 16, 2006.

1. sthpark7791 macrumors regular

I'm planning to buy a Macbook Pro. The new discounts on the refurb are really hard to pass up.

What are the chances of the MBP being upgraded/replaced at MWSF?

I heard things about a "grace period" where you can get the new model if you bought the old model x weeks before. Is this true?

Also, say it does get upgraded/replaced, how long would it take for the new models to hit the refurb section? I can't afford paying $2000 :/

2. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I would say that chances are pretty slim that the mbp will get a complete overhaul. May be a speed bump or something but that's about it. If it was me, I would wait till after MWSF.

3. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If you're looking for a 15" or 17", buy now. They were just updated six weeks ago and there are no improvements on the near horizon. There have been a few rumors of a 12" version, but most people are very skeptical of them.

There is no official grace period for machines purchased just prior to an upgrade. You might be able to bargain a nice customer service person into a credit of a few hundred dollars, but likely not on a refurb.

It usually takes awhile before they new models start showing up in the refurb store. I haven't been paying close attention, but I don't believe the new MacBook Pros have started showing up in the refurb store yet, and as I said, they've been out for six weeks now.

5. sthpark7791 thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, I see. I never thought to check for C2D's at the refurb store :)o ). The latest I wanted to wait is the week of Macworld so I guess I'll just get it now. I doubt prices will go down on them after Macworld anyways.

Thanks for responses :)

6. sthpark7791 thread starter macrumors regular

Almost forgot, Are the refurb units eligible for the $100 Printer rebate?

7. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Yes, I just ordered an iMac 20" from the Refurb Store and I was eligible for the $100 rebate. I ordered the HP Photosmart C-3180.

8. sthpark7791 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

But another issue came up, the Core Duo isnt 64bit! Would this make much of a difference for when I install Leopard come Spring?

9. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

No.

10. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

That's excellent!

In the past is had been right at about 6 weeks for them to appear. And with the price adjustments on the store today, I'd say that they will be showing up any day now. I'd sure like one... Maybe in the spring... :)

11. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Ta-da!

As of this morning, there is now a C2D MBP on the refurb list. Its the 1999 (US) model for 1599. That is a very good price, IMO. I'll hold out for the 2499 15" model. Here's hoping it will be 1,999. :D

12. mccldwll macrumors 65816

Something may be happening soon (like upgrading base video card). Generally with current models, refurb store not too much less than edu price. With c2d mbp that just appeared, $200 less.