Should I keep it or not?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mulletman13, Jul 1, 2004.

1. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

Hey all,

I've switched from Windows a few months ago, and got a MDD Dual 867 g4 powermac, and that handles all of my video editing and other processor heavy programs, and now I am going to college next semester.

I sold my IBM thinkpad, and got a great deal on a g3 900 mhz 384 ram, 40 gig hdd, combo, 12.1"+ airport card ibook-- however I am looking into if I should sell this or keep it. You see there is this very minor issue with the screen (I've read about it on forums where a cable is being pinched), which causes the backlight to go out... but that only happens once every week or so. When i researched the problem, it wasn't classified as logic board, but it was something totally different requiring a $150 repair, and I don't think it was worth that. I purchased this brand new for $700, what do you guys think I could get for it on ebay? It's been used a few months, but in flawless condition.

Also, my options for the next laptop are:

1) Refurbed 800 mhz g4 ibook from apple site.... (then i'd get more RAM and AE card) (779 + AE card and ram)
    or
    2) Refurbed 867 g4 pb.... i'd also have to upgrade the RAM and AE card too... ($999 + AE card and ram)

Now I am currently an unemployed student, who has about forty dollars, and whatever I could get for this laptop...

please give me any feedback-- I love the PB design, but the ibook is just a wonderful notebook for the money.

Thanks in advance~

KC

2. upperblue79 macrumors regular

upperblue79

Do you mean you purchased the ibook brand new, if so, call 1-800-APL-CARE, that should be covered under warrenty.

3. mulletman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

I bought if off of ebay and it was brand new-- I do not know the real purchase date or if anything was registered or anything -- otherwise I'd go right to that.

4. upperblue79 macrumors regular

upperblue79

brand new as in unopened, never used? When you first turned it on did it come to a registration screen and did you register? If so, call apple, even if you didn't call them and have them check your serial number, they can let you know if it is eligible for warrenty repairs.

5. mulletman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

Yea I have about 3 months left on the warranty...

Can people please offer me advice.... 1 ghz ibook for $949 or the 867 pbook for $999.... or I could even look over at ebay and find one for around $950.... any advice would be greatly appreciated

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Here is some advice.

3 months left on the warranty. Why not just have it fixed. It was good enough deal when you bought it, just get it fixed and you will be set to go.