Should I Kill OS 9?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by drastik, Jul 1, 2002.

1. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

Hello all,

I've been thinking, I don't really use OS 9 for anything naymore. I really don't run anything in classic and I never reboot. Should I kill off Nine? I have the discs, I could reinstll if I needed too. Would I see a performance boost? Faster Boot Time? What do y'all think?:confused:

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The only way to really know, would be to back up anything important that runs only within 9 and then remove it from your system. The best way to do that, is to wipe the entire computer and set it up from scratch with ONLY OS X. This will also remove any chance of running applications in 'classic' mode.

Since it doesn't look like you will miss it, I believe you might get some better speed with only OS X on it, and no OS 9 at all.

What kind of Mac do you have?? You might also consider increasing the memory and drive size/speed as well. If not before doing the wipe.

3. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

Well, I have a Pismo, but I'm going to probably drop the new G4 upgrade in it since I use it for some mobile video stuff. (OfflineRT is the coolest thing ever, decent editing on Pismo!) So For right now, I'm going to keep it to my G4/400 sawtooth. I've got a gig of RAM in it, and i just put a massive 7200 RPM drive in the second slot, so that pretty good Maybe the first drive (boot drive is a little slow. I guess I could reinstall on the second drive, but I got it as a media drive and I'd like to keep it that way.:D

4. iapple macrumors regular

I was just thinking the same thing..

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing! To come to think of it, I havn't used 9 in AGES! it's pretty amazing!

But you never know.. there are some apps that use 9 to unstuff themselves... Well, I suppose you could reinstall if you really have to..

It's a hard decision to make, but I don'T think you have much to worry about. Just get rid of ol' nine! I mean, he's dead already..:D :D Ever since WWDC!

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

For decompressing files, just get the latest version of stuffit expander (OS X native).

I plan to keep OS 9 around simply for games (like UT) until they are made OS X compatible that is. Once they will run under OS X, and not need to be installed on OS 9 first, I will drop 9.

I also need 9 (for now) to run the version of Photoshop that I have. I am also waiting for Poser to become OS X native.

6. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

I hardly ever use nine.. I think i used it once to install starcraft... When Jaguar is out, I'm wiping the drive and only installing X.

That makes me wonder.... I gotta reinstall starcraft somehow.. i'll just backup the one i have installed i suppose. also, anyone know if warcraftIII has an OSX installer?

7. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

Allright, so I'll probably just wait for Jagruar and do it right. Wipe the drive and all. That'll take some time to back up anyway, I guess I souldn't get so anxious. I'm kind of surprised no one around here has done it yet.

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I did it a while back on my Rev. A TiBook, but haven't done it with my Rev. C TiBook. I'm not 100% sure if the speed boost I saw came from the OS install, or the faster hard drive that I installed (put a 60GB IBM Travelstar into it). Try it out, but make sure you back up anything of value first. An easy way to do that, would be to get another hard drive, put it inside your computer, and then make your existing one an external drive. There are a few different FireWire kits for the laptop drives, so it won't be too expensive, or difficult to do. If you do install a new drive, get one from IBM, and make sure it is one of the 5400 rpm drives.

9. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

Re: Should I Kill OS 9?

just kill the little bastard

10. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

Alpha,

I've thought about doing the enclosure thing and upping the powerbook hard drive, speed and space would be nice. I'm just wondering, can I boot from an enclosed firewire drive, I'd think so, but I'd hate to get the thing all the way out and encolsed and then not be able to boot. Of course, I could just reinstall on the new drive first...hhmm. I'm worried because I want to do this G4 upgrade for the Pismo and I don't know how its gonna react with that.

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I would say that you can boot from the external drive, since I know people that have done it. When I pick up the enclosure for my 60GB drive, I will try it out and let you know. Granted, I am running the 800MHz TiBook here... :D

12. iGav macrumors G3

Personally I keep a OS9 setup ready to go on my PowerBook, complete with all my software installed..... purely for piece of mind....... I've had a couple of problems with print quality in OSX that was only resolved in OS9 so for the time being I'll be keeping a copy of OS9 installed.... also I use Director alot so OS9 is still essential for some work........

If you think you can totally live without OS9 then go for it... if there is a slight doubt, and the possibility that you may need it... then keep it installed....... :)

13. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

Thats a good point, I'd hate to have to reinstall oer some trifle thing, but I think I can live without it. Like giving up fat you know, better for you in the long run:D

14. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

There should be no speed increase if you take it off, since 9 and X don't use each other's resources, save Classic. Unless they are on the same part and fragment the same part of the drive then you will see no speed increase and you will be out a valuble way to hack X if you ever need to if nothing else.

Unix permissions mean nothing in 9. :) That's invaluble in itself.

15. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

Isnt it already dead?
    There was a funeral.

I think it was suicide.

16. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I think it was a murder made to look like a suicide... :p :D

17. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

No If you listened to Steve he said talking to the developers, "It may not be dead for them, but it is for you."

GS/OS is "dead", System 7.5 is "dead", Latin is "dead", but they're all still useful. It's all relative to the task at hand. I refuse to call X a mature OS 'til 10.2.

18. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

you should trash the whole thing if you don't use it...there's tons of appz that can do most f the things you could in OS9 theres not much point to having it...before i installed OSX, I re-formatted my drive because it was cloggy and i had nothing I really needed...i then partitioned and installed OSX and a basic OS9...I used the OS9 to install the Appleworks that I got with my computer (and other pre-X progams) so I could update it over the internet to OSX and then i got rid of OS9 and i really haven't needed it at all...

19. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

drat it

Well, I get home last evening and I'm thinking about this, and I decide to go through Classic and see what I really could and couldn't live without. I boot into classic, do some routine housekeeping (didn't delete files though) , kind oof look at the files, then I boot back into X, except, the GUI doesn't come up, I get command-line. Okay, fine, I kow terminal all right, I'm getting the hang of unix, I'll get this right....
    wait a minute...No file or directory?
    .../etc/master.passwd not found....crap.

I eventually figure out that my whole user profiles is gone, no file or directory, can't do crap because I can't log in. Punched it up from the boot CD and changed passwd, no go. Eventually I just reinstalled 10.1 and it booted fine, still had all my user attributes in GUI, except the clock was set incorrectly.

This is messed up, does anyone know what happened here? Anything else I can do without reinstalling the system? Now that I have it running I'm going to back up, wpe the drive and reinstall from scratch, but I don't want to do this again.:confused:

PS This is long, I'm just gonna start a thread with this.

20. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Should I Kill OS 9?

how much software is now available for os x? look at what is not there yet and see if you can do without

i say, keep it on for at least six more months and see what happens...there are still some driver issues where os x does not work 100 percent with every feature in some scanners and printers...but time will flush those problems out as os x reaches maturity

from what i have seen fooling around with os x, i like what i see and when i get a new mac to replace my three year old one, i will make sure os x is the only os on it and that it works to my satisfaction