Should I Move Down To The City?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, May 21, 2006.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I'm talkin about New York City. I finished my classes for this semester and was planning on takin' a summer class but I was just notified that it was cancelled due to low enrollment. I was really lookin forward to this class cause I don't really have anything to do this summer. I left my job partly because of it. I didn't really want to stay there anyways, so it's not a big deal.

So now I got nothing, and I've been thinking of "moving" down to the city. My dad works down there and has a place I could stay at, and he comes home every other week, so I can come home with him if I want. I really want to experience the city but I don't know what I would do down there. I don't know anyone, and I've grown up in suburbia my whole life. I have a feeling that if I do go down there, I'll just be doing the same thing I'm doin here, which is nothing. I'm not exactly the most extroverted person in the world, but I do want to do something new. I know I can't stay here forever, and I don't want to.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Go make sure the new Apple Store really is open 24/7... :D

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Get a Jobs at the Apple Store, seems fun, or a CompUSA as the seem to have a nice Apple Part of the store, move to the city to do it.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Yea give it a try....but like you said u might end up staying inside.....hey hang with me i'll show u around...get u real drunk;)

Bless

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I advise any young person who has the means to travel, and to live in a big/bigger city while they can. Go for it!

And we want pics!

6. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

7. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

You have nothing to lose. Do it.

NYC is crazy expensive and you have a place to stay! If you don't like it you can always go home but if you can't find something to do in NYC, you won't find anything to do anywhere.

8. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Yea I saw that, crazy.

I don't think finding something to do is the problem but finding new people to do it with.

I think I might go through with this. I don't really have anything to lose. I just need to get myself a MacBook, and sell this ol' thing.

9. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

The very best way to do that is to sign up for a class if you have the money or get a job (apple store would be cool!) or anywhere that you can and you'll probably make friends that way.

Where about in the city is your dad's apartment and do you have any skills for a job?

10. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

I def think it sounds like a great opportunity. Something if you dont have anything to lose, you might end up regretting if you dont do it.
    And as far as meeting people, just put yourself out there when visiting the places you would anyway. You never know who you'll meet standing in line/ next to on the train/ sitting next to you at a bar/ etc/

11. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Haha, yeah, I really want to make a genius bar appointment there for 3AM or something if I ever visit NYC... :D

12. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I would love to move to NYC. I would suggest doing it, get a job, anywhere really and make friends. There is so much to do in NYC that I find it hard that you will be bored all the time.

13. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

He lives in Chinatown but works in Staten Island. He probably could get me a job at the restaurant but I don't think I want to work there. I got an associates in Industrial Tech. Basically CAD stuff, I think it's time to update my resume.