Should I move to Vancouver?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Stampyhead, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Ok, here's the deal. I was visiting family up on Quadra Island this week (it's a little island between Vancouver Island and the mainland, for anyone who doesn't know) and my cousin who lives in Vancouver was trying really hard to get my to move there (to Vancouver, that is). She had me sort of convinced that there would be a lot of work for my current profession (web/graphic design) and my hopefully future profession (film composer). Plus I would be a lot closer to family, as most of them live up there.
    So, those of you who live in/around Vancouver, what do you think? What's the job market like for web developers? Would you recommend it as a good place to live and eventually raise a family?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know about your situation, but I think I'm going to move there when I graduate from my PhD "from the land Down Unda!" I'm from Toronto, so I don't need a Visa or anything to work in Vancouver. Cost of living in Vancouver is also supposed to be very high, while the salaries don't reflect that. Toronto is expensive, but Torontonians make the highest salary (in my field, and in fields related to my own). Oh well, there's a cost to living wherever you want.

3. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I hear the apartments and houses near Main and Hastings are pretty nice. You get a lot of foot traffic from the locals and has an exciting, almost dangerous ambience. I, Robot's cafe scene was filmed in one of their fine, exquisite cafes.

5. Spinach macrumors newbie

Yes, From what I understand VC is a cool town with a bohemian vibe.

6. iGav macrumors G3

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Other than Robson Street shopping in downtown Vancouver, there are the cafes on Commercial Drive that I frequent quite a bit. Nice atmosphere and nice people.

The summers and winters are mild. Basically, the best place to live in Canada.

8. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

I was in geography class this summer (DVD course) and some of the areas in Vancouver were extremely nice. Apparently a lot of business men and women from Hong Kong moved there right before China took over. So it is a really nice area with some damn nice houses in parts of it.

9. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I have been to vancouver a couple of times and LOVE IT!

Why not? :)

10. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I've been to Vancouver, BC a couple of times and think it may be the nicest major city I've ever been to.

11. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....Vancouver is a very nice city. Sounds like you have nothing to lose by giving it a try. Climate is nice - winters are not too cold, rarely snows (but does rain a lot in winter)...summers are fantastic - warm but not too hot, lots of sunshine, very little humidity...and those days when it does get hot it almost always cools off nicely at night. There's lots of mountains on the north shore for winter activities (skiing, boarding etc) and of course you are not far from the world-class ski hills in Whistler. Vancouver is a stop for just about every band on tour if music is your thing - some really nice clubs to see live music.

But yes, it is expensive...real estate prices are insane at the moment, which means even if you are just looking to rent it will be expensive. I think if you come prepared, with some money in the bank (3-4 months living costs is a good idea) you should not have much trouble getting work if you've got the talent in your field......oh yeah!

12. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Vancouver or Toronto

What if one had a choice, would Vancouver be a better choice than Toronto or is it thse same as in the US, West vs East Coast living?

13. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Just got back from there and can say that I still love the place even though it was rainy on the last day of the trip. I've been thinking of moving to Vancouver as well. It is just a great city overall. Been thinking of moving there ever sense you know what was started in Iraq. I never want to live anywhere else except in the PNW.

14. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Seattle is also similar to Vancouver. Both have a nice view of the Pacific Ocean, Vancouver has Granville Street Market, Seattle has their Pike Place Market. Only a 2 hour drive between the two cities. Similar climatology. I would give Seattle a try as well..

As for web design work, well you can take that sort of job really anywhere. Most web designers work from their apartments, or freelance.

15. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

What makes you think Canada will be safe when the US implodes?

16. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I grew up in Toronto and moved to the west coast 15 years ago now....I could never go back and live in Toronto now - the coast is a *much* better place to live.....oh yeah!

17. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

similar to my story..

I grew up in stratford, ontario then as an adult moved to hamilton, ontario (near toronto for those who don't know..).

I now live in Vancouver and love it much more. I got here last oct. just for a new start. I needed a place that I fit in better as I am kind of an earthy/hippie type. vancouver is simply a great city and the really great thing about it is that people of all kinds live here. everyone just fits in and gets along.

when it comes to tech jobs there are a lot here so I say go for it. most of vancouver's economy comes from tech, the arts and film making so its always an interesting and diverse place.

edit: just a side note.. weed is so tolerated here thats its virtually legal. you can smell it all over the city. :)

18. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

because the world doesn't hate canada..

19. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

toronto is much more of a white collar town. not that vancouver is blue collar at all. vancouver isn't white or blue really because there is such a mix of everything. toronto has a more up tight way about it. you could say its a bit new york-like. but you can't at all compare vancouver to any western us place. no other place in the world really.

vancouver is the 2nd biggest film and tv production city on earth second only to hollywood. when you live here you see why.

I would never take toronto over vancouver. rent in toronto is just as much as vancouver anyway. but.. I would still take toronto over anywhere in the us. no offense..

20. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Compared to the feelings expressed against the United States, that is unquestionably true. If moving to Canada soothes your mindset, it may very well prove to be a sound decision for you.

However, remember one thing in this increasingly troubled world of ours ... you can run, but you cannot effectively hide. It has been established that dreadful events occur in all parts of the globe. Best wishes on your choice.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree. That's a great opportunity. Go.

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would say that if you are young go for the it. To me being to find a job would be the first priority before moving. Sounds like a beautiful place.

23. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

while Vancouver is a beautiful city to live in the cost of living might make it impossible to enjoy. the living wage in GVRD is considered to be $12.50/h, yet the minimun wage is $8.00 with that stupid "training wage" of $6.00 for the first 500 hours. Graphic Design/web design is not as well paid here as in toronto, in fact most of the graduates in the field move away from Vancouver. base pay for a person with a two year diploma and some experience in about $8.50-10/h, a person with a four year degree and 5 years experience can start at $32,000/y. That is not to say there are not jobs that pay well but there are very few and very competetive. As for the movie industry, I think there is a law that the companies are required to hire Canadians first at set wages.
    Vancouver is a fantastic place to raise kids, its so multicultural and tolerant of each other. The Violent crime rate is pretty low but theft is very high especially in some neighbourhoods. The rent will drive one up the wall, a decent 1br on the west side is about $950-$1,100, on the east side about $850. the cost of buying is out of most peoples hands, the house I was living in sold for $650,000 the same house further west would have sold for 1.5million. It was not a great house, needed about 150,000 in repairs and upgrades. The suburbs of Vancouver are nice to live in, and thanks to the skytrain lines its faster to get downtown via the public bus service than via car.
    Well I have lived here for 15 years and am not planning to move, where else in the world can one spend the entire day world class skiing then heaqd to the beach in a t-shirt and have a cool brew?

24. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Film composer you can do anywhere in the world, but you do understand it's all about the industry contacts you make, not your location, right?

There is film industry in Vancouver but nowhere near the magnitude of LA or NY. This area is awash in web developers and 1yr tech school wannabes, the job market really is down to how well you can sell your services. If you're idea of a job market is scanning the classifieds looking for loads of well paying web developer's jobs you can pick and choose between, forget it. Go to your library and get some Vancouver papers, and see what's advertised. Then factor about 200 applicants for each ad. If you have a track record and a portfolio, then you'll be better positioned to get work.

25. Stampyhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Thanks for your replies, everyone.
    I've been to Vancouver several times, and it is definitely a cool place. I have Canadian citizenship, so being able to work there wouldn't be a problem. I guess part of my aprehension is that I have a pretty good job here and it might be hard to find a replacement somewhere else. I have lots of freelance clients, but I don't know if I could rely on them for full time work or not. Toronto is cool too, but all of my family is out west. I guess it's always a big decision to pull up one's roots and plant them somewhere else.