Should I not buy BTO?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dferigmu, Nov 16, 2004.

1. dferigmu macrumors 6502

The only things I would want to upgrade when I buy my iMac is the RAM and have an AE card installed. I'm still debating a 160GB hard drive. Is getting BTO a bad idea though in-case something is wrong with it?

I don't want to be stuck with dead pixels or anything like that. Or does Apple fix even small problems like that?

2. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Thats a good point, but if your buying soemthing say an ibook and you want an 80 gig hard drive then you have to order it from apple i think the highest you can get at the apple store for an ibook is 60 gig. So just check to make sure at the store you are getting everything you want in the computer and if you are i say buy from the store. I have heard before that apple checks the computers they send to the stores more throughly ;)

3. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

We all know it's cheaper to get ram from vendors other than Apple. As for the Airport Extreme card, we had a look at work on Friday, and it seems (for Canadian educational at least) Apple charges more for the card as a CTO option than it does for the standalone card. The card is $100 on our shelf, and costs anywhere from $101-104 to add to a machine, depending on what machine it is. It's higher on an eMac (presumably due to the tricky installation) than the iMac. That's certainly something to keep in mind.

4. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm going to buy from Apple.com because of the education discount.

5. alywa macrumors 6502

BTO advantages

Along with the hard drive options, don't forget about bluetooth. This is the only way to add internal bluetooth (thus avoiding the embarassing "dongle"). Airport extreme card should be no problem adding.

If bluetooth isn't important to you, the store is a nice way to purchase. You get instant gratification, and can check for dead pixels.

As I've been pricing them out, to me getting the bluetooth, wireless keyboard and mouse, AE card, and 1GB of RAM makes sense to me from apple. The 1GB RAM option is 202 (US edu discount), which is only 5 bucks more than crucial, plus it's matched, plus it's installed. The bluetooth is a no brainer for me, as I want the wireless keyboard and mouse.

Of course, your milage may vary.

-alywa

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Worth noting that if you get the extended Applecare warranty, I believe it'll only apply to the computer as shipped, so you'd end up getting support and warranty coverage for the Airport card as well.

As for RAM, it's easy to install and anybody decent gives a lifetime warranty on it, so I usually just add that after the fact.

7. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

About dead pixels, does Apple fix those or are you stuck with them? Or do they really bother you?