Should I open my free iPod mini, or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by crazydreaming, Aug 31, 2005.

1. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

I haven't opened the iPod mini that was free with the Powerbook I bought a few weeks ago for school.

Now that I am in school, there have been some times where I've been tempted to open it. The original plan was however that I was going to sell it. I am a poor college student :eek:

If I am going to get an iPod mini, it would be silly to sell this, and then wait a few more weeks before I decide I really want one and then go out and buy one...

But, I just heard about possible updates. So should I sell it? Open it? Or just wait until the event and take it from there. How much does the value really drop after opening it?

Thanks for any help.

2. tikibangout macrumors regular

tikibangout

Well, ask yourself if you think you'll use it much. If not, i'd say sell it.

3. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

The going rate...

The going rate for the 4Gb version is ~$165-$170 if it is new and unopened. You can "verify" this by looking for what people are trying to fetch for them on Craigslist.com. If you got the student price of $179 and paid tax then it probably cost you about $190-200 so you are losing a bit on the transaction and you lose more if you open it, and more if you try to sell it after new ones come out. I'd probably keep it. If you haven't started to save for retirement, why start now?

4. djkny macrumors 6502

Man, you must have the serious luxury of mucho time on your hands ... really. And I mean that because I'm envious of you, actually! Open it and use it! Why wait it out and wait it out and burn time like this, when everything gets updated eventually? Think about it. With your logic, you might as well wait until Sept 2006 when Vpod mini's will arrive with 15GB flash drives.

Just use it now. You won't regret it.

5. pammyspyce macrumors regular

pammyspyce

I would open it. It was free. Why not enjoy it?

6. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

15GB? In your dreams dude

7. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

why not open it, cut up the box, don't use it, send in the rebate, sell it for some extra cash, buy the new ipod mini due out sometime or so we all think. Double dip!

As for me, i'm using the free one I got, and am loving it.

8. LFrascogna macrumors member

Sell, sell, sell

I bought a brand new iMac and got the free iPod Mini with it. I already had a mini, a 40gb photo and my wife has a 15gb 3rd gen, a 10gb 2nd gen, and a shuffle (I have a wife yeah, but I'm a law student, so no comments about misusing the education discount).

Either way, I'm waiting on my rebate, but I paid the $179 and then sold it on eBay for $190, before shipping. That is a gain of $11 with or without the rebate. I got the green, I think sometimes the green and the blue can fetch higher prices.

9. assscat macrumors regular

Sold my "free" Student Union blue iPod mini last week on eBay for £112. Cost me about £28 after the rebate so I see that as a nice £84 that I get to spend on something else. I already have a 20GB iPod and a shuffle, so the mini would be a bit redundant in the middle.

In fact, I'm off to the Apple store in Birmingham later today, so I'll see what there is to see! (Although I do also have to stock up on some stationary for school too.)

10. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

If you know you are going to make good use of it then go ahead and open it up and make the most of it.....

If you want to open on impluse but know you will not use it very much or will soon grow bored of it, then sell it because as we know temptation kills the cat,

ShadOW

11. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm thiking I'll probably open it. I will use it a lot. I'm talking from experience, I've had two iPods in the past, first a mini, then a 10GB, but I decided the mini was best for me.

I'm just not in a huge hurry to open it because I've had an iPod before, that excitment isn't there, but my missing of my old one is there. :rolleyes:

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I say go ahead and open your free iPod mini. You might as well be enjoying your iPod, you know that you really anxious to open the package. Would certainly be nice for use while walking in between classes.

13. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

I got the silver because I think that'll look sweet with my Powerbook. :D I had a green one before and, got a little tired of it after awhile.

14. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I had a blue one up on ebay for a buyout of $180 last week, and it was gone within hours of my posting it.

15. Cfly macrumors regular

16. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

dont open it, and wait 1 freakin week for the new updates :D

17. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

18. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

Weren't the iPod minis just updated? People really think they can be updated already? The 1st update took almost a year, and iPod minis are selling like crazy. idk