Should I or should I not?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Dopeyman, Sep 23, 2005.

  1. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2005
    Location:
    Los Angeles!
    #1
    Should I wait for the new intel macs or go ahead and get a G5 Dual 2.7ghz?? I currently have a G4 400mhz (AGP graphics)... I don't do graphics or web designs or anything.... I just basically want a new computer...

    Any advice?
     
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #2
    Get it now. Intel Power Macs won't be available for at least a year. The dual 2.7GHz is probably a bit of overkill though. Can I recommend the 2.3GHz, it's a better value buy if you don't need massive amounts of power. :)
     
  3. tech4all macrumors 68040

    tech4all

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2004
    Location:
    NorCal
    #3
    I agree with mad jew, if your not going to be doing any heavy graphics/web design, video editing, etc. then the dual 2.7Ghz is probably over kill. What exactly will you be doing with it?
     
  4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

    Macky-Mac

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    #4

    and that could be as far away as almost 2 years as far the powermacs are concerned......seems to me that what Apple has said is that the transition would be completed by the end of 2007
     
  5. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

    DaftUnion

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2005
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    #5
    Dual 2.3 might be better for you. Huge price difference, and the 2.7 is water cooled I hear...so this could turn into a problem in a couple of years with the coolant. I might be wrong though??? :confused:
     
  6. yenko macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2005
    Location:
    SouthWest-USA
    #6

    Get what you want...even if it's overkill.....you only live once! :D


    You never know......with all that horsepower under the hood, wonderful, creative stuff is bound to happen! :D
     
  7. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

    feakbeak

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2003
    Location:
    Michigan
    #7
    I got the impression that the consumer and mobile lines were going to be moved to Intel first before the PowerMacs. This makes sense because the G5-based machines are probably the most competitive in terms of performance currently. Plus, they probably want their high-end line to be the most stable so it would reason that you'd convert your consumer machines first to test the waters with the cheaper machines.

    I'm guessing we won't see Intel-based PowerMacs until at least mid-2007, perhaps announced at WWDC. You probably don't want to have a 400 MHz G4 machine for another two years, so I'd get a new one now if you can afford it and want it. Although, maybe wait 2-3 weeks to see if those 970MP (dual core G5) are released.
     
  8. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

    feakbeak

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2003
    Location:
    Michigan
    #8
    Agreed - I'd only go liquid cooled if you really needed the performance edge. You can save a lot of money and some worries - liquid cooling hasn't been around that long outside of PC-tweakers who keep a close eye on their machines. Plus, the 2.3 GHz is plenty of power.
     
  9. wPod macrumors 68000

    wPod

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2003
    Location:
    Denver, CO
    #9
    go for the 2.7 enjoy the power. the first round of intel macs will be buggy anyway, so you might as well get the 2.7 and enjoy it now and wait for the macintel line to level out to a comfort zone of stability. rember the first round of iMac G5s? a bit buggy. just a thought. but i do also think the power line will be the first to jump over to intel. the power line of either powerbooks or power macs have always had the newest processors in them. but like steve himself said they are expecting the first intel macs in june. which for me would be a long time if i were itching for a new computer. so yeah, ill stop being repetative now!
     
  10. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2005
    Location:
    Los Angeles!
    #10

    I guess just my usual web surf'n, downloading, burning..... I just want a new G5.... maybe I'll go with the G5 2ghz (dual)..... I was also looking at the imac 20", but I have a brand new 19" viewsonic in the box just waiting to get opened up and installed... :D
     
  11. tech4all macrumors 68040

    tech4all

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2004
    Location:
    NorCal
    #11
    If you already have a 19" Viewsonic then you probably do want to utilize that, and having a Power Mac would be best way to do that in contrast to an iMac. I still think a dual 2.7Ghz is over kill for you. You could go for a lesser model, such as the dual 2.0Ghz or dual 2.3Ghz (keep in mind the dual 2.0Ghz has a max of 4GB RAM) and use the money you save with that to put towards other things such as RAM.
     
  12. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

    SummerBreeze

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #12
    Don't wait, if you want it now just get it now. If you just keep waiting for the next best thing you'll be disappointed. If you can afford the 2.7, go for it, but you won't be missing anything if you buy the 2.3. Like a few others have said, the first mactels will be buggy, but if you buy a G5 now it should run very well.
     
  13. Dopeyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2005
    Location:
    Los Angeles!
    #13
    Thanks for the input.......... I've made my decision and I'm gonna purchase the dual 2.0ghz G5.... I don't need that much power since I'm not into web designs or graphics or stuff like that... But I do want a fast computer... So that one will do....

    thanks again.....

    EDIT: So now I gotta get rid of my G4.... Anyone? :D
     

Share This Page