Should I or should I not?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by pcuserx, Apr 18, 2003.

1. pcuserx macrumors member

Jan 12, 2003
    I got a second chance offer on eBay. I made sure the guy is willing to ship COD etc. but anyways here is the offer, should I accept it?

$1575+shipping CND for a brand new:
    12" 800 MHZ 640 MB Ram 32 VRAM 30 GB Hard Drive CD-RW/DVD with all accessories and 8 months of warranty left

To afford this I'd have to sell my new eMac (low-end) for $1250 CND (that's the offer I got from the store) and ditch out all the cash I have right now.

I am just a high school student who doesn't use any special media programs. But I do expect to keep the computer for the next three years or so, and ir'll need to be able to run basic applications fine. This is an ok deal right? I mean the G4 proccessor isn't THAT much faster than a G3 in most things right? So basically I would just be lossing the speed at altivec programs.
  2. conceptdev macrumors regular

Nov 17, 2002
    First - I have no idea about ebay, I have never used so I can't say either way on whether to buy that specific machine.

The Minuses:

a. If you expect to do any video work in the next three years forget it on the G3.

b. Expect your machine to live as long as the apple care - I know Apple makes great machines but as a student can you afford a several hundred dollar repair x months down the line or especially when you are in university and paying tuition?

c. An iBook revision is expected some time in the near future.

The Plus:

In university in that time frame? If so a laptop is a great especially with wifi AKA airport.

I would wait until I could afford a new machine or buy a refurb - just as long as you have that three years of protection.

I whent through THREE used laptops in university just because the repairs were cost prohibitive - suck.