Should I power down my G5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by khester, Jul 16, 2005.

1. khester macrumors newbie

khester

Is it ok to leave my G5 running all day while I am at work or should I be powering it down. Right now I am shutting it off all day. But I was just curioius if it was ok to leave it on.

2. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Leave it on until the next update or power outage. That will show the true guts that PMG5's have.

Or turn it off after you are done using for several hours/days...

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I put mine to sleep when I leave the house or go to bed. No waiting for it to boot back up

4. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Ever since Mac OS X has been released, nearly all the macs that are supported are bulletproof under it. You can leave it on for days, weeks or months at a time, and it won't slow down or crash like other operating systems (ie OS 9, Windows).

5. wtmcgee macrumors regular

I generally sleep mine at night, but I only shut it down for software updates that reqiure it.

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

first off get a UPS a.k.a. battery backup which will save you from power outage. having a battery backup and only occasionally powering down your computer should make your computer last longer. beside that, any computer designer, designs their computer to run 24/7, you won't hurt anything.